Copying link to post into a reply does not show preview

Shouldn’t copied and pasted links to individual posts have a preview (much like how a quote looks like)? Mine only shows a URL line, and I’m not sure what happened.

It used to work in 2018, but it doesn’t work anymore when I’m trying it in a new post (although the old posts with links to posts show a preview just fine).

Has anyone encountered this before?

1 Like

Hello!

If you paste the link without living any space in front of the link, it should appear as a preview, something like that:

If you do leave space, it will appear like that:

Copying link to post into a reply does not show preview

2 Likes

It depends on the source of the post.

You can’t link something from a category with restricted permissions, that would bypass the security placed around the topics/posts.

3 Likes

Thank you Stephen!

And this includes posts within the same category? That seems weird - they would have the same permissions though, wouldn’t they?

1 Like

Sure but that still assumes that some degree of permission enumeration is going on, beyond checking if the source topic is public.

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas, this is helpful, but apparently it can’t work in reverse when it comes to categories that are made private! :laughing:

1 Like

Got it, thanks so much @Stephen! It’s a shame that it doesn’t work within the same private categories/restrictions.