Creating a new topic from a link

Using the link Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 16.20.05 - symbol, we can easily search for an existing topic and link to it without leaving the editor. Sometimes, the topic doesn’t exist yet. Couldn’t there be a way to create a new topic from the link-editor?

I often waatch myself having to open a new tab, create a topic and then copy the URL back into the place I was editing – this could be smoother.

Hey Julian :wave:

I’d be happy to help, but I have trouble understanding your request.

Can you clarify it a bit?

I mean this situation:

At the end of the screen recording, I would like to be able to hit a button “create new topic with this name”, which would insert a link to a new topic.

+1 @telephon for what i think is a feature request:

To formulate otherwise: a new feature could be added: when you highlight a text like this:

The purpose would be to add to the existing quote and share options (sorry, in french in the exemple…): a third option such as: create:

This option would:

• create a topic whose name is, in this exemple: “open a new tab”,
  • and automatically create a hyperlik on the current highlighted text.

These possibilities are really uselfull indeed, and commonly used in 2nd brain softwares like Obsidian or Roam Research.

2 Likes

The hyperlink search is quite useful but not as comprehensive as a proper search. I think if you’re looking for something you know exists the hyperlink search is really useful, but if it’s a general search to maybe create a new topic the full search is going to be far more beneficial.

3 Likes

In the typical situations of writing and linking between pages, you probably don’t need much more than the fact that a page with this search string in the title does or does not exist (maybe adding a few similar titles).