Creating topics by email to users.rust-lang.org or internals.rust-lang.org fails with 'Email Issue: Unknown To: Address'

The forums I maintain at users.rust-lang.org and internals.rust-lang.org are set up to use the users@rust-lang.org and internals@rust-lang.org emails respectively for reply-by-email and ‘email in’ is checked. When I send an email to either of those addresses though I get the following response:

We're sorry, but your email message to ["users@rust-lang.org"] (titled new topic test) didn't work.

None of the destination addresses are recognized. Please make sure 
that the site address is in the To: line (not Cc: or Bcc:), and that you
 are sending to the correct email address provided by staff.

What am I missing?

Can you take a screenshot of the category settings?

Yes, below. From your hint I tried to update ‘custom incoming email’ address for ‘uncategorized’ to ‘users@rust-lang.org’, but after clicking ‘save’ the setting did not seem to take.

Hm… try editing something other than uncategorized? Might be locked for uncat.

I got it working! The behavior I encountered in doing so was unexpected though.

Here are the steps I did:

• In ‘uncategorized’ settings I entered ‘users@rust-lang.org’ for ‘custom incoming email address’
  • Click ‘save changes’
  • Changes appear to save successfully.
  • Go back into the settings for ‘uncategorized’ and the ‘custom incoming email address’ is empty.

That is where I got confused.

• Went to another category and entered the same email address, click save, got an error message.

So that clued me in that maybe the original attempt did work. Sending emails does create uncategorized topics now.

Thanks for your help @riking

2 Likes

Please recategorize this topic under ‘bug’, since you’ve clearly found at least one bug.

@techapj can you look at this bug on Monday?

1 Like

Wow, this bug was affecting all the fields in the Settings tab for “uncategorized” category. The fields were not showing as updated when opening in edit mode. Sent a fix :bug:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3161

Thanks for bringing this in our notice @brson!

4 Likes