Custom Emoji feature requests

A couple of requests:

• The ability to rename custom emojis
  • A separate class for built-in emojis and custom emojis. I have several custom emojis that are bigger than the normal emoji size and are non-squared dimensions. If I remove the height and width limitations via CSS so that the custom emojis display correctly, the built-in emojis become very large. It would be nice to be able to style custom and built-in separately.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Hmm, if they deviate from the Emoji standards, they are no longer Emoji. So this is an odd request. “Change Emoji so they aren’t like Emoji!”

Renaming seems reasonable though.

So adding a class to distinguish custom from default is out… then could we have a section where we can load custom GIFs that our board commonly uses? like facebook’s GIF keyboard?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Well, when you say it like that… it does sound easier. Not sure though, @zogstrip would need to comment.

(cpradio) #5

In theory you can use the ReplyGIF to accomplish this goal.

If you didn’t want to utilize the GIFs from ReplyGIF the plugin already supports you changing it to use a different URL.

You would have to support the API that ReplyGIF already offers though, including the response structure.

So at a minimum you would have to have endpoints for

###example.com/replies
Provides a json array of strings

example: ["category", “category2”, “category3”]

###example.com/tags
Provides a json array of strings

example: ["tag", “tag2”, “tag3”]

###example.com/gifs
Provides a json array of images and their details

example:

[
  { file => "example.com/i/filename1", tags => "comma separated list of tags", caption => "caption of image1" },
  { file => "example.com/i/filename2", tags => "comma separated list of tags", caption => "caption of image2" }
]

###example.com/i/filename
Returns the image for filename

###example.com/thumbnail/filename
Returns the thumbnail for filename

###example.com/gifs?reply=category
Returns a list of images and their details (see above) in a given category

###example.com/gifs?tag-operator=and&tag=tags
Returns a list of images and their details (see above) that have each tag provided (comma separated)

###example.com/gifs?reply=category&tag-operator=and&tag=tags
Returns a list of images and their details (see above) that are in a specific category and have each tag provided (comma separated)

Granted, you could set it up so /replies, /tags return a single item, and thus the querystring parts become moot. So the only thing you’d have to do is ensure the /gifs endpoint returns all of the GIFs you want to support.

(Régis Hanol) #6

IN :arrow_down:

Awesome! Thank you so much!