Custom Layouts Plugin

Yes you can!

There’s both a server-side and client-side interface for adding widgets.

Import this function

import { addCustomWidget } from 'discourse/plugins/discourse-layouts/discourse/widgets/sidebar';

Then use it like this in an initializer

addCustomWidget({
  name: <widget name>,
  position: <side you want it to appear on>,
  order: <order relative to other widgets on the same side>
})

Also make sure it’s enabled, either site-wide (in site settings) or for a specific category (in category settings).

Any idea if the CSS for this needs to be changed recently? Just updated to the latest and the CSS doesn’t work any more. I still see the use of .nav-container and .locations-map when I inspect the elements from the browser.

Cheers.

Nothing changed in the plugin, but the Discourse css might have changed.

This is the topic list Map right? Try

#list-area .locations-map:not(.expanded) {
}

Thanks, but no luck. Threw just about every element in there and no change:

.list-area .widget-container .nav-container .leaflet-container .locations-map:not(.expanded) {
  height: 750px;
}

Solved it: need the !important comment. thanks for the help.

.nav-container .locations-map:not(.expanded) {
  height: 750px !important;
}
2 Likes

It’s working fine in my website at https://babyforex.net. But, if you use right sidebar in Topic View, You shouldn’t use DiscoTOC: DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents

1 Like

At the topic Page,

Post Navigation is hidden.

I think Post Navigation can move to left of site and Sidebar is on the right site.

Is it showing me error - “No setting named 'layouts_sidebar_left_enabled” exists and same for any settings that I am trying to make in it.

Can you please elaborate on the steps you are taking to get that error? Please provide enough detail so that someone can reproduce it.

Are you using an up-to-date official Discourse build? We only support our plugins on tests-passed branch.

Thanks Robert for your reply, I am using the Bitnami AWS instance and is using the documentation as per https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/discourse/configuration/install-plugins/, ideally it should have worked but not sure why it isnt able to identify the assets.

1 Like

Yep please use the official Discourse builds instead. Use of Bitnami is at your own risk.

Thanks for you assistance, sure…I will set that up on Digital Ocean and will confirm if issue persists.

This Plugin is broken with Fakebook theme.

You could equally say Fakebook is broken with this plugin? :wink:

We support core Discourse and if a theme works, great. If not, you are probably out of luck.

Whilst we make great efforts to optimise compatibility we can’t promise all themes will work with our plugins. Especially those combinations where our plugin and the Theme are both changing templates.

If you want to use a Theme with this plugin choose a lighter weight Theme that has less or no impact on layout.

Fakebook already has its own sidebars and almost certainly won’t have been designed to work with this plugin (otherwise why doesn’t it use the CL sidebars?). It is also targeting core Discourse no doubt. You’ll probably have to choose between them. Or, use CL and borrow elements from Fakebook and design your own Theme.

There’s currently a Chrome limitation that prevents us fully exploiting Topic List Previews with sidebars. Watch this space…

2 Likes

It’s currently broken, for some reason.

** INCOMPATIBLE PLUGIN **

You are unable to build Discourse due to errors in the plugin at
/var/www/discourse/plugins/layouts-topic-list

We’ve removed it on our site.

The plugin has just undergone a significant update.

You can now add theme components as widgets (in addition to plugins). I’ve updated the widget you’ve been using to support v0.2

However I would recommend the new theme version of the same widget (with some functionality improvments and changes)

Generally the plugin is moving away from using plugins for widgets to using themes. Full documentation to follow in the next day or so.

Note that the plugin now has support for group-specific permissions, so make sure this is set in /admin/layouts.

This plugin will also soon be moving to the same update schedule as our other plugins; see further:

6 Likes

It’s GREAT NEWS! I just written the same to another person, and suggested, that we moved to a theme-component based solution. Thanks for the update!

2 Likes

Please PM me with your use case so I can help you get setup with the new theme-supporting version :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When I update Discourse to the latest version, Theme Minimal - The Plugin is not working.

My Forum: Https://babyforex/net

Hey, welcome :slight_smile:

Can you give me some more specifics on the issue? What widgets are you trying to use?

A key thing to note is that the plugin now has enabled and group settings for each widget. That’s the first thing to check.

I’m still working on the documenation for v0.2 (literally right now!), and v0.2 won’t be officially launched until the next Pavilion Plugin Update Period: 2020-04-30T14:00:00Z2020-05-04T14:00:00Z.

If you look at try.thepavilion.io you’ll see that the plugin is working successfully with the current version of discourse (just updated): Layouts - Try Pavilion

1 Like