Custom sidebar sections being tested on meta

As a temporary workaround, you could change the sidebar link to /t/../other-resources. This will match the format the sidebar expects, and it will still link to your other-resources page.

4 Likes

Have you tested this? Last I knew permalinks work only before ember loads and don’t work for internal links. I might have missed something, though.

3 Likes

Just double checked, opening in a new tab is fine, but if you open the link in already loaded discourse (EX: sidebar), you have to refresh before it works. It does link correctly however.

5 Likes

For instance, the Review link… It already has a title value and I cannot change it as same as the icon, name and link.
Only via js.sidebar.sections.community.links.review.title variable in Customize > Text.

But if I want to specify a custom link, I cannot specify any title value, not even in Customize > Text area.

4 Likes

ok i see now that the community header has been removed (as discussed in other places).

so how do admins edit that section of the navigation menu now?

4 Likes

It’s now here:

I’m guessing some of your custom CSS may be hiding it from you. :eyes: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yes i hid that more section because i do not like it. ugh :woman_facepalming:

i will need to remove that option from my TC as well.

5 Likes

i don’t like this change because it takes away the css control of that more section and it also disables the collapsing functionality of that section in desktop view. i really like the collapsing sections feature for all the sections.

8 Likes

More details about the change are over here in case others are looking for that topic: Maybe just remove the "Community" header in the sidebar? (A plea!)

If there’s more feedback about the change, let’s continue the discussion over there.

5 Likes

The new customization setting for (the community and more) is hidden, adds another layer of complexity, and not in ligne with the rest of the menu bar. You need to start to search where it is located.
The same problem is presented when it comes to the log out (people get confused when an essential component is hidden)

4 Likes

Yes, the inconsistency with the customize button location isn’t great. We’re still planning on further improvements to this.

8 Likes

@awesomerobot is there a possibility to bring back the “community” header and make it customizable too like it was before and give the user the choice to have it or not? because it is a drastic change of deleting it completely.
IMG-20230716-WA0024

2 Likes

it seems we have now lost the ability to collapse the Channels and Personal Chat sections in desktop view. :thinking:

i was sort of hoping the collapsing sections features would appear in the mobile navigation menu but i think the dev team may be moving to phase out collapsing sections altogether?

5 Likes

That smells like a bug to me.

Keeping the “main” section at the top in place is intentional. We don’t intend to bring back the collapsible heading there.

But we do not intend to remove the ability to collapse any of the other sections. We’ll get that fixed up soon.

7 Likes

Thank you! I had noticed that the sidebar sections were no longer collapsible (at least on mobile).

4 Likes

Thank you for reporting this, I just fixed it in this PR :slight_smile:

9 Likes

thank you for the quick response and fix @kris.kotlarek and @mcwumbly :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Working with this feature now — a small request would be to allow topics to be selected as part of custom categories (instead of just links). Splitting the “Categories” up into multiple sections would be nice.

3 Likes

I have the same question. How to specify title value for translation while customize sidebar section?

1 Like

Where is this located?

2 Likes