Custom Trust Level

Works like a clock @Ahmed_Gagan, thank you very much. This just opens a lot of possibilities to adjust a Discourse site to specific realities without needing heavy changes on Core!

Which takes me to an idea that may need some debate/input:

A Discourse Site is heavily protected in terms of options to avoid “Trolls”, etc.

• When pre-registering you can put stuff as private, trust level gates, etc.

• At register time you can ban certain email domains, names, IPs, etc,

• After register is done, mostly with Trust Levels, you can even block TL0 from posting to avoid “surprise attacks” and stuff. Also, during posting you have plugins like the Blur Spoiler and the “Details” one to let your users write freely without spoiling each other, for example.

As you know, one of the main “points of impact” for communities is the whole “Spoiler Culture” and, obviously, hate-speech, etc. And we have some tools for it, as noted, but I found an “vulnerability”: A TL0 user, even if gated, can give likes to anything, and your users will be notified. If the name picked by the troll when singing up is either a spoiler or an insult (you can imagine examples) it is basically a successful attack on your community.

One thing I was thinking was to try to add a PR to this great plugin to “disable” the Like function according to TL (basically to remove it from TL0). My big concern is that I don’t know if that would break something, like the “normal progression to the next TL” or something like that. I don’t know how “essential” it is for the user from a system perspective at the beginning. Does anyone know?

(@codinghorror and @sam for reference as you are the references I can think of for this type of stuff, but maybe there is someone else that you can point, sorry for the bother!)

2 Likes