Custom user fields and presentation on profile (and popup)

I’ve set my forum up with SSO - works great!

My main concern right now, is that I would like to have a new link on the profile page, and the profile popup - I would like to link back to the main site with the external ID - how do I go about doing that without breaking Discourse when I update (which I do almost every day).

I also have a couple of custom user fields, and they show up ok. Like twitter handle, for instance. However, I would like to make a link out of the handle.

Are there any examples of anything of the above?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Noone links back from their profile page to their main site?

I’d really love a way to link from a user’s forum profile page to the main site using the external ID! :slight_smile: Any hint? Experience?

Yes, this comes up a fair bit… @sam was working with another trial that needed this. Perhaps @techapj could take this and write up a howto @sam?

3 Likes

Sure, we may need add a few outlets, not sure but totally fine for @techAPJ to take this, I can help guide him.

Critical thing is that we want the example not to require any plugins, so needs to be done via a site customization.

4 Likes

Okay, we now have a howto for this:

4 Likes

That is so cool :smiley: How do I get the external_id-field from the SSO though? Your example seems to be an external ID that people input themselves…

Answered here:

2 Likes