Data explorer group report - parameter bug

I just updated to the latest version of the Data Explorer before posting this and I can confirm this issue is still present for me.

On the data explorer plugin there’s a feature that lets you expose queries to groups. I have done this for the query that counts consecutive days visited because I have users desperate to know how close they are to the xxx days visited badges.

This was working until recently. Now I get this error.

The error seems to be caused by the request being sent (here I am showing the network inspector on firefox):

It appears to not be updating the parameter values as they are being entered (username=null, min_days=10 are the default parameters when you load the page). The console also gives an error “Uncaught TypeError: t is undefined” when either entering text into the username box or changing the min_days value. This line is throwing the error:

This is the best I can do of tracing the issue short of forking the repo and debugging each line. Just wanted to report the issue and also curious if others have the same problem.

4 Likes

Thanks @piffy for the report. We have recently made some changes to data-explorer plugin so this could very well be valid. I have tested multiple queries with a usernames input and have not ran into the issue linked in OP. Could you drop your query here that I could test it out?

5 Likes
--[params]
-- string :username
-- int :min_days = 10

WITH consecutive_visits AS (
  SELECT user_id,
       visited_at,
       -- The value of s will be the same for each group of consecutive days
       visited_at - (DENSE_RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY user_id ORDER BY visited_at))::int s
    FROM user_visits
    WHERE user_id = (SELECT id FROM users WHERE username = :username)
)

SELECT
MIN(visited_at) period_start,
COUNT(*) AS consecutive_days,
MAX(visited_at) period_end
FROM consecutive_visits
GROUP BY user_id, s
HAVING COUNT(*) >= :min_days
ORDER BY period_start DESC

I tried with safe mode on (official plugins only) and have the same issue.

1 Like

Thank you, I will take a look.

2 Likes

As a fun extra tip while Isaac takes a look at that, you can also use the user_id parameter to get a swish auto-complete parameter box. eg:

-- [params]
-- user_id :user
-- int :min_days = 10

WITH consecutive_visits AS (
  SELECT user_id,
       visited_at,
       -- The value of s will be the same for each group of consecutive days
       visited_at - (DENSE_RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY user_id ORDER BY visited_at))::int s
    FROM user_visits
    WHERE user_id = :user
)

SELECT
MIN(visited_at) period_start,
COUNT(*) AS consecutive_days,
MAX(visited_at) period_end
FROM consecutive_visits
GROUP BY user_id, s
HAVING COUNT(*) >= :min_days
ORDER BY period_start DESC

5 Likes