Data Explorer Plugin

official

(Bart) #23

That sounds like the perfect solution, thanks!

(Dan Dascalescu) #24

Please mention in the plugin UI that only the first 250 results of the query are visible, because there is no UI indication of that whatsoever.

I’ve just spent a bunch of time debugging a query that returned a different result set depending on the sort order. Turned out there was an implicit LIMIT tacked on.

Scroll through full user list?
(Kane York) #25

Yep. The “download results” have a limit of 10,000 or something, and you can make that number as high as you need by crafting a HTTP request.

(Sam Saffron) #26

Should probably be a site setting that can be shadowed by global

(Anton) #27

How to run a data-explorer query through JSON API?

I’m desperately trying this url:

/admin/plugins/explorer/queries/15/run.json?api_username=...&api_key=...

But it says 404 page not found.

Any ideas?

(Felix Freiberger) #28

Queries are run by requests like this: https://meta.discourse.org/admin/plugins/explorer/queries/1/run
Results are then returned as JSON.

For more details try opening the dev tools in your browser (probably by pressing F12) and watching the network tab while using the data explorer.

(Anton) #29

Discourse API says we should appen “.json” suffix

(Felix Freiberger) #30

It seems like this URL doesn’t follow the standard pattern. Appending .json is a good guess for many URLs, not a guaranteed specification.

(Anton) #31

Yep. For this case to work I should have made a POST request, not a GET one.
All works with POST.

(Anton) #32

May you explain the parameters declaration syntax?

(Dave McClure) #33

Would be cool if you could configure queries to run at a certain time and send reports of the results to a group :slight_smile:

(Wes Osborn) #34

I have a single site (nginx and postgres on same server), I tried to install this plugin and I now get the following error when attempting to do the rebuild:

* Error: Config owner (postgres:107) and data owner (root:0) do not match, and                                                                  config owner is not root
   ...fail!
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking cluster versions                                   ok
Checking database user is the install user                  ok
Checking database connection settings                       ok
Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
Checking for reg* system OID user data types                ok
Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok
Checking for invalid "line" user columns                    ok
Creating dump of global objects                             ok
Creating dump of database schemas
  discourse
  postgres
  template1
                                                            ok

encodings for database "postgres" do not match:  old "SQL_ASCII", new "UTF8"
Failure, exiting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                 -----
UPGRADE OF POSTGRES FAILED

You are going to need to export your data and import into a clean instance:

In containers/app.yml: Change "templates/postgres.template.yml" TO "templates/po                                                                 stgres.9.3.template.yml"
```

(Sam Saffron) #35

You got to follow those instructions… Rebuild got you the latest image.

(Wes Osborn) #36

Yeah, so far those don’t seem to be going well either:

+ /usr/bin/docker run -d --restart=always -e LANG=en_US.UTF-8 -e HOME=/root -e RAILS_ENV=production -e UNICORN_WORKERS=6 -e UNICORN_SIDEKIQS=1 -e RUBY_GLOBAL_METHOD_CACHE_SIZE=131072 -e DISCOURSE_DB_SOCKET=/var/run/postgresql -e DISCOURSE_DB_HOST= -e DISCOURSE_DB_PORT= -e DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS=cnnnnnn@clcohio.org,nnnnnnn@clcohio.org -e DISCOURSE_ENABLE_MINI_PROFILER=false -e DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME=discourse.clcohio.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS=smtp.mandrillapp.com -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT=587 -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME=nnnnnnn@clcohio.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -h proddiscourse-app -e DOCKER_HOST_IP=172.17.0.1 --name app -t -p 80:80 -p 2222:22 -p 443:443 --mac-address 02:a2:58:e2:58:2a local_discourse/app /sbin/boot
7587306c5a160576394201298d540a5063474c5c66d1ff1f08d2bdbf29bf7d24
root@proddiscourse:/var/discourse# ./launcher enter app
root@proddiscourse-app:/var/www/discourse# cd /shared/postgres_backup && sudo -u postgres pg_dump discourse > backup.db
bash: cd: /shared/postgres_backup: No such file or directory

Of course this has to be the first time in literally dozens of Discourse changes when I didn’t snapshot the VM before upgrading. I can pull the upgrade from yesterday, but will lose a bit of data.

(Wes Osborn) #37

Also I don’t understand this instruction:

“Undo the base_image and postgres template from your container config”

How would I “undo” it? I get the postgres template (basically remove the version number) but I didn’t see anything related to changing a “base” line in the app.yml.

(Wes Osborn) #38

I rebuilt again and it seems to have allowed the database backup this time. Not sure what was happening the first time. I get the impression that the “undo the base image” instruction is out of date and can be ignored.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is there a way to expose a query to regular users, perhaps with the aid of this plugn? I’m not too sure about the needed credentials and I don’t want to make a poor security decision. I think it has been discussed elsewhere here with only a paid solution being outlined, but I’d like to be able to present a list of users ordered by their last activity time, as many traditional forums do. For example, this query provides the desired information:

SELECT username AS "User", (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - last_seen_at) AS "Last Active"
FROM users
WHERE last_seen_at IS NOT NULL
    AND (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - last_seen_at < INTERVAL '15' MINUTE)
ORDER BY last_seen_at DESC

If I could make this query available to JavaScript I think displaying the information would be quite simple, especially since this plugin, for example, can produce output in JSON and CSV formats. I’m unsure if there’s a way to achieve this though. Is writing a plugin the only way? I have no experience with Ruby or Ember, and web development isn’t my area of expertise, which is why I am hoping for another solution!

(Mittineague) #40

Hi Tsirist welcome to the forum.

After having read the posts in this topic you have realized that this plugin allows Admins to do Read queries (and IMHO a great job at doing that).

Exposing this plugin to non-Admins is not a good idea. The database does contain some “sensitive” information and even without Create, Update, Delete ability the plugin should be used with extreme discretion.

I suppose forking and hacking Core files could be done, but a plugin is what you want here, trust me.

If you don’t have the chops to code it up yourself, becoming a paid customer might help this feature become realized. Else posting in the Marketplace category might get you some results.

(Anton) #41

Nope.

I would love a checkbox saying “Make this query public through API” (off by default), so that admins could create queries for additional client-side features programmed by adding custom JS.

(Jay Pfaffman) #42

Given that it’s now the default not to allow sysadmins to write SQL for badges, it’s not likely that such a feature would be seen as a good idea. It’d be too easy for someone to publish SQL that’d cause problems.