Make data explorer available to moderators

(Pad Pors) #1

isn’t it better if this plugin be available for moderators as well?

currently only admins have access to the plugin, and mods get this error when clicking on the plugin: “The data explorer is only available to admins.”

moderators also need to be able to analysis some user behaviors, and direct access to the plugin helps.

Data Explorer Plugin

This would give them complete read only access to your database. Not recommended in all cases I do not think

For example all they need to do is do

select * from api_keys

With that then they have access to the system & any admin generated API Keys allowing them to perform admin functions.

(Tobias Eigen) #3

There is a whole discussion somewhere on meta about admins vs moderators, and how much trust to put in them. The discourse team all have admin privs here on meta, for example, as you can see on the about page. Personally I limit it (just two of us have admin privs) and then the two of us own the hassle of having to run reports and share them with the rest of the team. This is less than ideal - really we just limit the access to avoid having to train everyone on what to stay away from. Not everyone on my team is interested in seeing all the admin features, even if we do trust them with the data.

Can you give an example of the type of analysis moderators need to be allowed to do?

I’ve often wished for the ability to create a query, and then make just that query available to moderators. Or the ability to have the results of a query sent to me (or another discourse user) on a schedule, along the lines of the user export which is niftily delivered by PM.

(Mittineague) #4

I don’t know the ETA but AFAIK there are plans to expose Admin vetted queries to Moderators via the dashboard.

I am a moderator at SitePoint, not an admin, so I don’t have access to Data Explorer there. I do have access to Data Explorer on my localhost installs so I have some experience with what it is able to do.

Although the plugin has safety built in as far as protecting the database, it is very powerful in terms of what data it can provide. Some of which should, IMHO, not be available to any other than an admin. (eg. both personal and private information).

On the other hand, there have been a few times I have petitioned our admin to run a query for me and reply back with the results and he has gracefully obliged.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #5

The new dashboard is currently planned for this release (Discourse Version 2.0). Of course that is always subject to change.

What I cannot confirm is if exposing Data Explorer queries is planned for the first release of the new dashboard, or if it will wait until a later improvement pass.

(Pad Pors) #8

for data analysis, we have a colleague who needs to have access to the user data. he is currently playing with the data to see if he can extract patterns for “topic-user” and “user-user” interactions.

we can user “localhost” or “admin access” in this case as mentioned above, but I was wondering what will happen if moderators have access to the plugin as well. since they already have access to users information in the user section of admin panel.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

The plan is for some queries to be marked safe as runnable by staff, but not to expose all of data explorer proper.

(cpradio) #10

Any chance we can mark queries that we make to be exposed to moderators? I’ve been working on a few things on SP that I wouldn’t mind exposing the data of, as it is meant for their eyes, right now I export/copy it to a topic, which requires manual effort.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Yes, that is the plan!