Data Explorer unusual error on a site on which DE only recently installed

Hi all, just reporting a strange behaviour/bug I’ve noticed in the last few days after enabling Discourse Data Explorer for the first time on a self-hosted instance of Discourse which has been running fine for over a year. It’s a fairly simple setup and the only other plugins on the instance are Akismet and Calendar.

I installed Discourse Data Explorer as per normal, adding it to containers/app.yml and doing a full git pull then /launcher rebuild app to ensure everything is up to date. The installation and rebuild went fine without errors.

The Discourse instance is on (latest) 3.1.0.beta2 (currently commit 7eb6223b04) and doesn’t have much in the way of other customisations on it.

I am an Admin on the instance.

When I try to create a new Query the spinner just keeps on going around, and I get a JS error in the console:

rest.js:63 Uncaught Error: You must overwrite `createProperties()` before saving a record
    at n.createProperties (rest.js:63:1)
    at n._saveNew (rest.js:42:1)
    at (rest.js:66:1)
    at d.create (admin-plugins-explorer.js:247:1)
    at d._triggerAction (d-button.js:116:1)
    at (d-button.js:80:1)

The new query is not saved and I can’t edit any existing queries. I don’t seem to have buttons to edit, in fact, making me wonder if there is some weird permissioning issue going on here. Importing via JSON also fails with the same error in the JS console.

Googling that error yielded absolutely nothing I could relate to the issue. There’s nothing I can find on Meta regarding a problem with DE.

My other Discourse instances, on the same Discourse version, with DE installed, are working fine.

I use Brave Browser but have disabled all the Brave privacy features for this site. Same exact error occurs using plain ol’ Google Chrome

There are no errors in the Discourse error log that I can relate to the issue.

Any thoughts on how to debug further, or suggestions from the community?


Ah OK, I might have found the solution actually. Looks like there was a regression 2 days ago which was fixed yesterday but that fixed was merged a few hours after the last ./launcher rebuild app I did yesterday.

Have done another rebuild and it’s fixed. Might be worth leaving this report in place in case others have the same issue between now and the next time they rebuild. It would likely only affect users who were running a version of Data Explorer from Feb 7th/8th. I was just unlucky here, I installed the DE yesterday lunchtime (GMT).

To recap: Solution: ./launcher rebuild app


Great debugging @pacharanero :slight_smile:

Sorry for the bad luck on timing!


Thanks @isaac for the fix!

1 Like

‘Rubber duck’ debugging! I write a bug report on Meta and usually this action forces my brain to look for the solution logically instead of magically.