Hi,
In my community, no one should ever post code. It would always be off-topic.
However, sometimes people do have their posts formatted as code by accident.
Is it possible to disable everyone from applying the ‘code’ format to content in their post?
3 Me gusta
dax
(Daniela)
20 Marzo, 2019 16:53
2
How do they use a code by mistake? By clicking the code button in the editor? Or simply leaving 4 spaces at the beginning of the line?
You can try to hide the code button with CSS using:
.code.btn {
display: none;
}
You can also change the site setting code formatting style from the default 4-spaces-indent to code-fences. If users can leave 4 blanks spaces before a line (maybe because they use emails?) it is difficult for them to use ``` by mistake.
5 Me gusta
In my case it’s always the user’s email app adding an indent at the first line in a paragraph. Their posts by email are jumbled up as a result.
More here:
Many posts in my forums are created via email. They do not contain code.
Would appreciate a setting to turn off the four-character code-block feature of Markdown when the post originated from an email.
That is to prevent many email paragraphs being turned into code blocks due to paragraph indents.
4 Me gusta
Hi @dax ,
Those are great ideas - I’ve implemented both. Thank you!
I do think it is because they add four spaces to the start of a line. I wonder if this was a typing convention in some schools or something? Or it is entered via their email program? It seems to happen a couple of times a week.
Falco
(Falco)
20 Marzo, 2019 17:19
5
That is/was the standard way to create a paragraph when writing on paper:
5 Me gusta
dax
(Daniela)
20 Marzo, 2019 17:21
6
I doubt they insert manually 4 space. I think instead that they write the posts via email. You should be able to determine this by looking at the post itself. If you see an envelope icon the post has been submitted by email.
Or they simple copy paste the text from an another program where they use the Tab to create new paragraphs,
3 Me gusta
Falco
(Falco)
20 Marzo, 2019 19:08
7
You would be surprised! I had hundreds of users, in a instance where reply by email was disabled, putting the four spaces because they were mimicking pen and paper standards. They also did the same when using a word processor or email.
7 Me gusta
The Thunderbird email client does it automatically for some of my users.
3 Me gusta
Dax, he notado que incluso con esta configuración establecida como ‘code-fences’, el sistema sigue traduciendo cuatro espacios a un formato de código. ¿Existe alguna forma u opción para desactivar globalmente en un sitio el formato de código de cuatro espacios?
Lo pregunto porque un par de veces por semana un participante publica accidentalmente sus comentarios en formato de código, lo que dificulta su lectura. Creo que se debe a que esta convención todavía prevalece entre algunas personas:
Falco:
¡Te sorprendería! Tuve cientos de usuarios, en un caso donde la respuesta por correo electrónico estaba desactivada, que añadían los cuatro espacios porque imitaban los estándares de escritura a mano. También hicieron lo mismo al usar un procesador de textos o correo electrónico.
4 Me gusta
No, no existe ninguna forma de hacerlo.
4 Me gusta
¡Vale!
Por favor, considera esto como una solicitud de funcionalidad.
Me pregunto qué porcentaje de los foros de Discourse necesitan bloques de código. Por lo que a mí me parece, podría tratarse de una minoría distintiva de comunidades.
3 Me gusta
¿Deshabilitar el formato de código para una indentación inadecuada de 4 espacios?
@outofthebox , no eres la primera persona que experimenta este problema. He observado publicaciones en Reddit con cientos de votos a favor sobre el desagrado que este tema provoca en algunas personas, y el foro de CommonMark sobre los estándares de Discourse tiene un hilo al respecto. He resumido algunos de ellos en línea:
opened 08:32PM - 23 Nov 24 UTC
closed 04:16PM - 25 Nov 24 UTC
markdown-ext
*extension-candidate
#### Desire
As [I've poorly aforedescribed at `reddit.com/r/vscode` (to 5 upvot… es)](https://www.reddit.com/r/Markdown/comments/1g8t2xt/can_markdowns_indented_code_blocks_be_disabled_in/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button), I want a way to disable the conversion of a single tab or 2 spaces to a `<pre><code>`. Instead, I want it these to merely be ignored (as they are in other markup languages, like HTML).
#### Rationale
I author most of my markup in HTML, because it provides significantly more versatile and semantic markup capabilities. However, it has an (ultimately non-inherent, but in-practice) significant failure — `<code>` tags are not automatically syntax-highlighted by any parsers.
Markdown, being a superset of HTML, improves this perfectly. As an example, when I render the undermentioned in VS Code with the PowerShell extension installed, I see beautiful colours:
~~~MD
<tr>
<th>
Construction
</th>
<td>
```PS1
${'Status'} = [PSCustomObject]@{
'Non-Chronological' = 'Indeterminate';
'Chronological' = [PSCustomObject]@{
1 = @(
'Uncommenced',
'Commenced'
);
2 = @(
'Completed',
'Cancelled'
)
}
}
${'Person'} = [PSCustomObject]@{
3 = '';
1 = '';
2 = ''
}
```
</td>
</tr>
~~~
However, that's really difficult to read. It gets exponentially more difficult if, for example, you have nested tables with code blocks in each. At that stage, I basically have to re-indent and then de-indent each time I modify the markup. It's a dreadful workflow.
Instead, it should be the undermentioned:
~~~MD
<tr>
<th>
Construction
</th>
<td>
```PS1
${'Status'} = [PSCustomObject]@{
'Non-Chronological' = 'Indeterminate';
'Chronological' = [PSCustomObject]@{
1 = @(
'Uncommenced',
'Commenced'
);
2 = @(
'Completed',
'Cancelled'
)
}
}
${'Person'} = [PSCustomObject]@{
3 = '';
1 = '';
2 = ''
}
```
</td>
</tr>
~~~
However, all beneath the first `<td>` shall render in a `<pre><code>`.
This is, of course, a basic example, where the aforedescribed potential complexity is less evident. However, I can provide incredibly complex examples if necessary.
Summarily, having this implemented would completely change how I write my Markdown documents. I would finally be able to write the HTML within them in a readable manner, and have syntax-highlighted code blocks, without needing to deal with the indentation havoc that is `<pre>`.
#### Feasibility
Per https://github.com/11ty/eleventy/issues/2438#issuecomment-2464912554, this should be possible in VS Code, since `markdown-it` appears to be the parser that VS Code uses, and it supports the ability to disable indented code blocks.
#### Corroberations
1. ["A switch that disables code blocks by indenting" at `forum.obsidian.md/t/21764`](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/a-switch-that-disables-code-blocks-by-indenting/21764/1?u=rokejulianlockhart)
<blockquote>
For years I’ve been using apps that “use Markdown” like Bear and Ulysses. So I would often tab underneath a header for typing because I visually like to indent different topics. Well, turns out that those apps were really using “Markdown flavors”. It was like Markdown lite.
So now that I’m using Obsidian that uses the full Markdown specs, when I try and indent underneath a header, I get a code block! That technically is correct, but I hate it! I can’t write the way I normally like to write.
I would love a simple switch that says something along the lines of “disable code blocks by indenting” or something to that effect. I would still be able to do a code block using the three ticks.
</blockquote>
1. ["Inline HTML breaks when using indentation" at `talk.commonmark.org/t/3317`](https://talk.commonmark.org/t/inline-html-breaks-when-using-indentation/3317/1?u=rokejulianlockhart) [^1]
<blockquote>
The only input I found that works [...] requires:
1. Inner markdown body not indented at all
2. Blank line between first para and HTML
3. No blank line between second para and HTML
If there *is* a blank line between second para and the HTML, then the HTML gets parsed as an indented code block and breaks the HTML.
</blockquote>
1. https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2120#issue-71270331
1. https://github.com/11ty/eleventy/issues/2438#issue-1271419451
1. ["Disable “indent -> code block”" at `forum.obsidian.md/t/19173`](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/disable-indent-code-block/19173/1?u=rokejulianlockhart)
<blockquote>
#### **Situation**
I often indent lists and put an empty line in between for visual distrinction.
#### **Problem**
Obsidian recognizes that as code and colors the line red.
#### **What I’m trying to do**
Turn off code blocks alltogether, or turn off the indent → code block function.
</blockquote>
1. ["Break Markdown: Option to change default tab / indent behavior / Do not create code block" at `forum.obsidian.md/t/8741/5`](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/break-markdown-option-to-change-default-tab-indent-behavior-do-not-create-code-block/8741/5?u=rokejulianlockhart)
> If there’s an empty line in between, the indent will default to code. If anybody found a solution, please let me know.
1. ["This is how to use Markdown inside HTML blocks" at `forum.obsidian.md/t/74435/14`](https://forum.obsidian.md/t/this-is-how-to-use-markdown-inside-html-blocks/74435/14?u=rokejulianlockhart)
> It’s sad we can’t combine HTML with Markdown, I really wanted to use the metabind plugin in an html table, but since HTML goes separately, that really limits the amount of customization we can have.
1. ["Change the code block button from inserting indentation to triple-backticks" at `meta.stackoverflow.com/revisions/414866/1`](https://meta.stackoverflow.com/revisions/414866/1#:~:text=Indentation%20is%20also%20used%20with%20lists%20(bullet%20and%20numbered)%2C%20making%20it%20more%20confusing%20how%20to%20properly%20indent%20a%20block%20inside%20them.%20Fenced%20blocks%20provide%20a%20separate%20syntax%2C%20simplifying%20the%20markup%20for%20indenting%20a%20block%20inside%20a%20list.):
> Indentation is also used with lists (bullet and numbered), making it more confusing how to properly indent a block inside them. Fenced blocks provide a separate syntax, simplifying the markup for indenting a block inside a list.
#### Reposts
1. [x] https://github.com/searKing/preview-vscode/issues/96#issue-2686597767
1. [ ] https://github.com/shd101wyy/vscode-markdown-preview-enhanced/issues/new
#### Interested
1. [x] @JaredRichardWilliam
1. [ ] @YerEverLuvinUncleBert
[^1]: [`talk.commonmark.org/t/3317/6`](https://talk.commonmark.org/t/inline-html-breaks-when-using-indentation/3317/6?u=rokejulianlockhart)