Disabling all emails except those registration related?

I have a client that wants to use Discourse on a project but cannot have Discourse emails coming through their email system for legal reasons. The instance of Discourse is going to be very heavily moderated/administered by some people in charge of the project. It seems there are two possible solutions here:

• Admins create the accounts for the users and send them the credentials
  • Users receive only registration and password change emails and nothing else.

Right now, it doesn’t seem like either of those situations is possible. Am I correct in that assumption? Is there another way to establish and manage this community?

You could build a plugin that patches that area and makes the email notifications a no-op

Or you could totally disable emails and build a custom frontend for account management using the API

There is no built in way

SSO ftw.

Disable all emails, and set up a simple rails / Django app for user management, and reuse the SSO code for those frameworks.

I really can’t say how awesome discourse SSO is.

5 Likes

Yes, I totally endorse that, on second thought that is the best thing to do here instead of butchering Discourse internals with monkey patches.

5 Likes

Ok, awesome. Do you know if there’s any publicly available example of a SSO source for Discourse? A Rails or Django app that’s ready to go, so to speak? I’ve worked in both, but if there’s a “perfect working example” out there that I can clone and use, that would be super handy. :smiley:

1 Like

The topic you are looking for is :arrow_right:

5 Likes