Disallowing "uncategorized" entries still offers uncategorized as default category

Note that having a private Uncategorized may break the site. (This can no longer be done through the UI, the security tab is hidden for Uncategorized.)

Yeah, which makes it an odd choice as a default for mods/staff who have access to it. I’m really close to the point of writing a UserScript that will prevent me from submitting a new topic in the Uncategorized category (I literally never want to create a topic in that category).

1 Like

It isn’t private. Only staff have access to use it, and irritatingly, it’s the default setting when you “Reply as linked topic”, but all members can see any post which accidentally ends up there - hence the problem I had with my post being spotted in the two minutes before I changed the category.

1 Like

@codinghorror, would you be against a PR that would change the default category for Reply as New Topic, or the Create Topic (off the latest page) to “Select a Category” for mods/staff instead of Uncategorized?

To me, this sounds like a win-win for everyone. As right now, defaulting to uncategorized is defaulting to a category you can’t alter the security on, so it is automatically public. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

1 Like

The default for “reply as linked topic” should be the same as the current topic, IMO.

I recall us fixing this before so it defaulted to “no category” when there was no category context, not sure what happened. Probably a regression.

2 Likes

Okay, so a PR that put Select a Category when Create Topic from the Latest page and defaulted to the current Category when using Reply as New Topic would be accepted?

Just making sure I understand what you deem to be appropriate, so I can throw it on a “look into, to see if I’m comfortable making this change” list.

3 Likes