Discourse as a Conference App (in person, virtual, or hybrid)

Hi @nicopace! This is an interesting thought experiment you are doing, and helpful when considering what to do next with 🗓 Discourse Event.

I’ve looked into what you’re trying to do for the Global Legal Empowerment Network where I was community manager until last year. Back then we used a mix of other tools to hold online events and Discourse as the place to invite the community and share info before events and then to report back and follow up afterwards. We used GoToWebinar for handling event registration, reminder emails and follow-up emails, and of course for hosting the actual event.

Discourse functionality has improved quite a bit since even then and I’d love to see it grow to support this use csae even more. There are some other features you can look at. One that I especially like is Discourse Shared Edits. We also recently greatly improved the invite system so it’s easy to invite people to join a Discourse, and give them added privileges instantly, just by creating a link and sharing it.

(I am glad to see APC is thriving as an organization - I’ve known it since the early days when I was running Kabissa (long since retired as an org), and even before that when looking to use Fidonet to connect orgs in Africa, with GreenNet in the UK, and even before THAT with Amnesty International and IGC. )

6 Likes