Discourse as Your First Rails App

Is there any way to use discourse without using VM? Does it can be used with local system as normal rails app?

Docker is not a VM, it does not suffer the same performance penalty as virtualization.

The official Docker-based install is the only supported installation method (for production use). In theory, you can also use different installation methods, but it will be entirely unsupported, is likely slower than a Docker-based install, and can break with any upgrade.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to develop on Discourse just fine using my local machines (mac and linux), no VM required. (Windows will be a bit trickier, so Vagrant or something similar would be the way to go there)

3 Likes

Can you explain how to set this up or link to a howto?

Hereā€™s a back-of-the-napkin approximation for mac (linux will be the similar with apt-get instead of brew):

(this assumes that youā€™re using the correct ruby version [2.3.0 at the time of this writing], probably installed with either rvm or rbenv)

brew install redis
brew install postgres
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse.git && cd ./discourse
bundle install
rake db:setup
redis-server &
bundle exec rails s
3 Likes

Thanks for your support. I successfully installed discourse in my local system and running from http://localhost:3000. But i got stuck when iā€™m trying to embed comments in other websites from my discourse. When i tried to embed comments iā€™m getting only Loading Discussion message in browser text, but if i passed topicId as parameter it is loading comments perfectly. Can some please help me to resolve this.

Thanks.

That helped ! Will try it out

Thanks for the guide, Iā€™ve got Discourse up and running locally in a VM.

However, unlike the blog screenshot, though, Iā€™m seeing a ā€˜blankā€™ discourse forum in set-up mode with the usual ā€™ Congratulations, you installed Discourse!ā€™ title - am I not meant to be seeing an ā€˜exampleā€™ forum with some pre-loaded threads like the screenshot?

Also, can I load in a back-up of my Production forum using command line fairly simply - any gotchaā€™s doing this?

Thanks!

That is expected - thereā€™s no pre-seeded content in development installs. That screenshot was just an example of a site running locally, not a brand new development install.

4 Likes