Discourse Basic Editor - Beginner friendly composer!

maybe this can be fixed with css. Does it never show up, or can you scroll up to see it? what browser/os are you using? maybe we can make it sticky but at the top. The issue is, that some browsers recently tried to be “creative” and moved the browser bar to the bottom.

Browsers are Firefox & Chrome in Android on a Motorola phone. Same thing happens with Discourse app.

The button bar is always there, it is just underneath a pop-up menu whenever the selection is in the 1st 3 lines visible in the text box.

A workaround is to insert 3 CR/LF (carriage return/linefeed) before the 1st text. Then delete those extras before posting.,

1 Like

yeah I just tested it. I get what you mean. its super annoying. But I think bars at the bottom are even worse. And also I need to research how to do this and I dont get paid for it. But probably there is a cleaner way to do it. I bet other projects have the same problem and there is a standardized solution. But as I said I have other priorities. Sorry to be so frank :smiley:
EDIT: just a note. there is a way to disable right click(double click on mobile). contextmenu - How to disable right-click context-menu in JavaScript - Stack Overflow but then users cant copy. its a mess…

2 Likes

The workaround is viable, merely inconvenient.

There’s probably a mobile CSS approach for this annoyance. I’ll just have to hunt it down.

Adding a lot of code for this special case would not be a great use of your time & attention. (Plus it adds overhead.) Thank you for sharing your projects with community. It has been very generous of you.

2 Likes

Just FYI this is causing an error when sending a DM

2 Likes

ok thank you very much for the report. I just fixed it

3 Likes

Just a tip, rails adds the method .present? in a few ruby classes which is better than comparing with empty strings. It works with arrays and strings mostly.

Also there’s .empty? which is opposite of the .present?

4 Likes

Is it possible to fix the upload button on mobile?

1 Like

I removed this button on purpose because images need to be uploaded through the editor. But I just discovered the file selection menu does not popup on android firefox for some reason. To investigate this i have to install remote debugging. So it will take some time to fix. Until then just use the advanced editor to upload images.
EDIT: actually it works perfectly fine. It was just not opening because I denied the app camera access before. So you can just use the same image upload button that you would use on desktop. look at the screenshot that I uploaded to test it if you are confused:

1 Like

I want to enable only Bold, Italic, Link and Image upload option inside the toolbar how can i do that?

1 Like

I will add an option to configure it once its done.

3 Likes

Means there is no work around for this? Can i not edit the config file for the ckeditor that you have used inside the plugin?