Discourse doesn't detect some android mobiles

I’ve just received a report from a user that joined and the notification and tour were overflowing.
Thanks to a couple of screenshots I managed to realize that the issue is that the viewing wasn’t actually a mobile one. I’ve got a slightly different header links for web and mobile so it was easy to debug.

I’ve checked on my Android device and it works as expected. Any thoughts why this could happen? I tried to search on the forum here and didn’t find info about this.

1 Like

If his browser is on the " request desktop site" mode this will happen. Lots of people leave that on for a tab and forgot.

4 Likes

Which browser were they using? Were they requesting the desktop version of the site?

2 Likes

Thanks guys.
I thought about this and the user says it was like that before they requested desktop site and the same behavior applied for desktop site.

I’m checking for the browser although from the screenshot it seems like Chrome on Android.

1 Like

We’re going to need definitive steps to reproduce this issue for it to be treated as a #bug.

Do you have the model of phone, version of Android and browser?

Does the same issue occur for the user here on Meta?

1 Like

Please give us the exact user agent string of the user.

2 Likes

It’s a moto G6 on chrome. The issue was that an error message was overflowing, I suspect the user was on a desktop site though. Even then, the error message should still fit in the screen size, right?

We don’t really support using the desktop version on a non-desktop. We ship a complete different HTML structure for mobile, so it makes no sense for us to double the work by also making desktop works in every mobile size.

2 Likes

I understand and respect that.
I’m not sure the purpose of using desktop site on mobile unless some of the functionality isn’t available. In the worst case, I’ll customize some css to support specific messages/errors.
Thanks again guys!

2 Likes