Discourse Hot Topics

Repository: GitHub - danskdynamit/discourse-hot-topics

This plugin creates a “Hot” sorting criteria and builds a custom topic list based on the result of the following formula:

likes / ((hours since creation + 2) ^ gravity)

Things to note:

• The default gravity multiplier is 1.5 but you can adjust this in the settings for the plugin.
  • You can add “hot” to the list of menu items to make it easier to access.
  • There is also the option to add ?order=hot to a URL to create your own links.
  • Once enabled, the hot rating is recalculated every 30 minutes so it will take a bit of time to take effect at first. If you want to accelerate this, you can log in to Sidekiq and manually trigger the HotRating job.

This work was graciously sponsored by @commonpawn and @Oskar. Kudos to them for making this happen.

The following topics lend more background to why this exists:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/topic-list-previews/41630/299

25 Likes

In our community, we need hottest topic for a specific category. can this plugin do that?

Yes.

Go to the category page you want and then select Hot from the menu. The URL will look similar to this: yourdomain.com/c/CATEGORY/l/hot.

6 Likes

Hello @joebuhlig,

Is it possible to change the frequence of the HotRating job in sidekiq ?

Give this a try:

https://github.com/danskdynamit/discourse-hot-topics/commit/c13c1a6857146d532be4c124c0841791243b424c

It adds a setting hot_topics_calc_period that lets you set the period (in minutes). Note that you’ll need to do a rebuild every time this setting is changed before it will take effect.

6 Likes

Thank you @joebuhlig !

1 Like

Hello Joe,

Is the “staff like weight” parameter is taken into account in the hot topic plugin ?

This option is in the parameters “other” tab.

Currently, it is not.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Prevent fast and short replies when a flame war is ongoing

Hello @joebuhlig,

After some tests, i’m pretty sure that replies likes, are taken into account in the formula. I think it’ll be better and more logical, to only takes likes of the first post.

Don’t you think ?

Yes. It does count likes on all posts. It’s beyond me on whether or not that’s a good way to do it. The formula is a copy from other models. @commonpawn and @Oskar, do either of you have a strong leaning here?

1 Like

@joebuhlig if you have a bit time and if @commonpawn and @Oskar are ok, i can sponsorize this job, to add an option to take or not in account replies likes.

6 Likes

Just sent you a PM. :wink:

Sometimes things work out really quick. Thanks to @kam44 for making this happen.

You can now choose to use only the likes on the original post in the calculation as opposed to likes across all replies.

https://github.com/danskdynamit/discourse-hot-topics/commit/fcb645064cbea9ff2bc06099f730541c01259773

9 Likes

The plugin works well, but does it do the “x new posts. Click to refresh” live updating that is done on the core lists? It would be nice if it could (not so much to change the order of the posts, but to notify the users as to which posts have replies…)

I’m getting a 500 (/hot route) error after installing it and I’ve run the HotRating job, I’m missing something?

Regarding this:

Do you think Hot Topics could be made to support Feature Voting as well? Or would it be easier if Feature Voting just comes with its own concept of “Hot” sorting?

I see no reason for a cascade of dependency, feature voting can take care of itself

5 Likes

Ran into an error with this plugin.

I added the plugin to the plugins folder in discourse then started up my rails server with bundle exec rails server and ran into this error. Only this plugin has yielded any errors like this.

1: from …/plugins/discourse-hot-topics/plugin.rb:98:in block in activate!' .../plugins/discourse-hot-topics/plugin.rb:100:in module:Jobs’: uninitialized constant Jobs:: Jobs::Scheduled
Did you mean? Scheduler (NameError)

** INCOMPATIBLE PLUGIN **

I’m new to discourse so perhaps I’m making some fatal mistake? or is anyone else having this same issue.

I’m using Ruby 2.6.1 and Rails 6.0.0, latest version of discourse from Github.

5 Likes

Change

class HotRating < Jobs::Scheduled

to

class HotRating < Scheduled

This worked for me. I believe the issue happens because this class is already wrapped inside module ::Jobs so we don’t have to specify the module again.

1 Like