Discourse, Keycloak, SAML - is it impossible to configure?

Hi!
I’ve been doing this for almost a week, but I can’t set it up! Tried a million options! Help me please…

So, there is a test instance of Keycloak, address - http://10.5.40.19:8081. There I made a realm CUBA and a SAML client:

As you can see from the screenshots, there is a test Discourse forum at https://cuba-test-forum-en.demo.haulmont.com/discuss
According to the discourse-saml plugin documentation, the URL for connecting to SSO in my test forum will be like this - https://cuba-test-forum-en.demo.haulmont.com/discuss/auth/saml/callback
https://github.com/discourse/discourse-saml

SAML settings in app.yml file:

DISCOURSE_RELATIVE_URL_ROOT: /discuss

DISCOURSE_SAML_TITLE: "Example SAML"
DISCOURSE_SAML_TARGET_URL: "http://10.5.40.19:8081/auth/realms/CUBA/protocol/saml"
DISCOURSE_SAML_AUTO_CREATE_ACCOUNT: 1
DISCOURSE_SAML_CERT_FINGERPRINT: "0D:9A:46:68:6B:CA:A6:41:7A:F5:08:18:C4:01:47:33:75:AD:2C:EF"
DISCOURSE_SAML_CERT: "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
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
-----END CERTIFICATE-----"

I took the certificate from here:

Exported it to PKCS12:

Imported it to KeyChain of my Macbook and exported it to PEM. In fact, it turned out the same, only with the words “BEGIN …” at the beginning and “END …” at the end.

When I try to log in using SAML, it sends me to the Keycloak page:

But there I see an error:

What am I doing wrong? I configured OpenID authorization, it works. But! For a number of reasons, I need to provide SAML as well.
Very much I ask for help!

The Keycloak server is on a private IP. Is that IP reachable from wherever it needs to be reached from?

2 Likes

Sure! Otherwise I would not have been thrown to the Keycloak page:

Ping:

I will add. Keycloak is running in a Docker container. Here is the log of this container when switching to SAML from Discourse:

10:21:53,379 WARN  [org.keycloak.events] (default task-198) type=LOGIN_ERROR, realmId=CUBA, clientId=https://cuba-test-forum-en.demo.haulmont.com/discuss, userId=null, ipAddress=172.27.0.1, error=client_not_found

I changed the ClientID in Keycloak to the one defined in the logs:

Now in the Keycloak logs this error:

11:24:32,750 ERROR [org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlService] (default task-211) request validation failed: org.keycloak.common.VerificationException: SigAlg was null

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlProtocolUtils.verifyRedirectSignature(SamlProtocolUtils.java:137)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlProtocolUtils.verifyRedirectSignature(SamlProtocolUtils.java:127)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlService$RedirectBindingProtocol.verifySignature(SamlService.java:592)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlService$BindingProtocol.handleSamlRequest(SamlService.java:268)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlService$BindingProtocol.execute(SamlService.java:537)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.protocol.saml.SamlService.redirectBinding(SamlService.java:635)

at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor940.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:138)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.internalInvokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:543)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTargetAfterFilter(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:432)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.lambda$invokeOnTarget$0(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:393)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.PreMatchContainerRequestContext.filter(PreMatchContainerRequestContext.java:358)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:395)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:364)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:150)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invoke(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:104)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:440)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.lambda$invoke$4(SynchronousDispatcher.java:229)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.lambda$preprocess$0(SynchronousDispatcher.java:135)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.PreMatchContainerRequestContext.filter(PreMatchContainerRequestContext.java:358)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.preprocess(SynchronousDispatcher.java:138)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:215)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.ServletContainerDispatcher.service(ServletContainerDispatcher.java:245)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:61)

at org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jaxrs@3.12.1.Final//org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:56)

at javax.servlet.api@2.0.0.Final//javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:590)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletHandler.handleRequest(ServletHandler.java:74)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:129)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-wildfly-extensions@11.0.2//org.keycloak.provider.wildfly.WildFlyRequestFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(WildFlyRequestFilter.java:41)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-services@11.0.2//org.keycloak.services.filters.AbstractRequestFilter.filter(AbstractRequestFilter.java:43)

at org.keycloak.keycloak-wildfly-extensions@11.0.2//org.keycloak.provider.wildfly.WildFlyRequestFilter.doFilter(WildFlyRequestFilter.java:39)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.core.ManagedFilter.doFilter(ManagedFilter.java:61)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:131)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler.handleRequest(FilterHandler.java:84)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityRoleHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityRoleHandler.java:62)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletChain$1.handleRequest(ServletChain.java:68)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletDispatchingHandler.handleRequest(ServletDispatchingHandler.java:36)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.SecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:78)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.RedirectDirHandler.handleRequest(RedirectDirHandler.java:68)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.SSLInformationAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SSLInformationAssociationHandler.java:132)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.handleRequest(ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.java:57)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractConfidentialityHandler.handleRequest(AbstractConfidentialityHandler.java:46)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.java:64)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.java:60)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.handleRequest(CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.java:77)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.security.handlers.NotificationReceiverHandler.handleRequest(NotificationReceiverHandler.java:50)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:43)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.jacc.JACCContextIdHandler.handleRequest(JACCContextIdHandler.java:61)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.GlobalRequestControllerHandler.handleRequest(GlobalRequestControllerHandler.java:68)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.handleFirstRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:269)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$100(ServletInitialHandler.java:78)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$2.call(ServletInitialHandler.java:133)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$2.call(ServletInitialHandler.java:130)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.core.ServletRequestContextThreadSetupAction$1.call(ServletRequestContextThreadSetupAction.java:48)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.core.ContextClassLoaderSetupAction$1.call(ContextClassLoaderSetupAction.java:43)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.SecurityContextThreadSetupAction.lambda$create$0(SecurityContextThreadSetupAction.java:105)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentInfoService$UndertowThreadSetupAction.lambda$create$0(UndertowDeploymentInfoService.java:1530)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow@20.0.1.Final//org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentInfoService$UndertowThreadSetupAction.lambda$create$0(UndertowDeploymentInfoService.java:1530)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.dispatchRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:249)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$000(ServletInitialHandler.java:78)

at io.undertow.servlet@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$1.handleRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:99)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:370)

at io.undertow.core@2.1.3.Final//io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:830)

at org.jboss.threads@2.3.3.Final//org.jboss.threads.ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.run(ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.java:35)

at org.jboss.threads@2.3.3.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor.safeRun(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1982)

at org.jboss.threads@2.3.3.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.doRunTask(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1486)

at org.jboss.threads@2.3.3.Final//org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1377)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

11:24:32,750 WARN  [org.keycloak.events] (default task-211) type=LOGIN_ERROR, realmId=CUBA, clientId=null, userId=null, ipAddress=172.27.0.1, error=invalid_signature

Your last error shows that Keycloak wants it SAML-Requests signed.
So either you need to configure:

• DISCOURSE_SAML_SP_CERTIFICATE : SAML Service Provider Certificate
  • DISCOURSE_SAML_SP_PRIVATE_KEY : SAML Service Provider Private Key
  • DISCOURSE_SAML_AUTHN_REQUESTS_SIGNED : defaults to false
  • DISCOURSE_SAML_WANT_ASSERTIONS_SIGNED : defaults to false
  • DISCOURSE_SAML_LOGOUT_REQUESTS_SIGNED : defaults to false
  • DISCOURSE_SAML_LOGOUT_RESPONSES_SIGNED : defaults to false

(you need a certificate with a private key for discourse (the SP) for that).

Or you could disable the setting regarding signed requests in Keycloak (I do not know Keycloak, but from your screenshot I would think that turning off “Client signature required” should do the trick …)
Careful - turning off signing of client requests has certain security implications (namely other parties could sign off your user(s) - IIRC) - better do your research there and do not rely on me :wink:

1 Like

Hi @nahimov,
Did it help? Have you managed to setup Discourse + Keycloak SAML?
Could you share your experience?
Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I see so many questions about discourse + keycloak
this one ( Keycloak with Discourse - #20 by mahcr ) has 5,2k views
Maybe it should be enough for someone to write down a step by step guide on how it can be setup
I know I would very very much appreciate

2 Likes