Discourse Signatures

official

(Daniela) #42

Sorry @sam, it’s impossible to complete the rebuild with the plugin signatures

I’ve tried it twice (disabling all the unofficial plugins) but I got the same error.

BTW, IE problem is not due to this plugin

(Sam Saffron) #43

The location of the plugin moved to

@Falco perhaps you should delete your old repo and redirect it to the official discourse one?

(Daniela) #44

Done the rebuild with the new repo (I didn’t notice that the repository had changed).
I’ll look tomorrow if there are any other log errors, for now the signatures work again.

EDIT: the IE problem seems to be due to Header Search Theme (not the plugin).

Can anyone explain what i need to hack to show signatures to all users (unauthorized)?
I found how to set signatures from my site throw SingleSignOn custom params, but i need to enable signatures for all visitors…

Thx

(Mittineague) #46

Do you mean “everyone can have a signature” or this ?

I know how to show signatures for signed in users
Set true for custom_fields[“see_signatures”] parameter for each user, but how to show signatures to the logged out users

(Charles) #48

I would like to suggest you add the ability to limit who can use signatures based on group or trust level. I can see this useful for moderators and staff to post useful links, while preventing the general population from abusing it with lots of info (and imagery) that would otherwise belong in their profile.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #49

Discourse have many ways for admins to provide warnings or information to the public:

• Pinned Topics

• Banner Topics

• Custom navigation buttons

• Custom icons in the header

And many more.

However, if below posts of staff is the only place that makes sense for your community, you can archive that using a HTML/JS/CSS customization and targeting the posts of a certain group.

That why you don’t need the plugin and can centralize the message in the Admin panel.

(Jeff Atwood) #51

It is our rather strongly held belief as an organization that repeated signatures are not a good solution to … well, anything.

Also bear in mind that this plugin is very intentionally opt-in – only users who explicitly elect to see signatures (with the plugin installed) will see them.

(Kankuro) #52

I skimmed the replies and noticed that this was recently broken. Can anybody confirm that it’s working again?

(David Taylor) #53

It should work, are you having problems with it?

(Kankuro) #54

No, I just wanted to make sure it was (meant to be) working before I installed it. I’ll update here if it doesn’t work for me though, thanks!

(Dylan Hunt) #55

Few questions

1. For the advanced signature editor, it seems to have everything… EXCEPT image selection :stuck_out_tongue: since the simple one accepts an image link only and the main example was using a single pic, it’s a bit strange that this does not accept an image link. Bug?

2. How to enable signatures to show for everyone by default (I’m about to turn on simple mode - was mostly curious about the advanced mode).

Thanks! Cool plugin.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #56

Upload is disabled there, as images would be cleaned up by the orphan images background job anyway. But you can just use markdown to add an image that lives in a post or anywhere in the internet (imgur, etc):

Using Edit a user setting for all Discourse users as a guide:

./launcher enter app
rails c
User.find_each {|u| u.custom_fields['see_signatures'] = true; u.save }
exit

Should :crossed_fingers: work.

(Dylan Hunt) #57

Cheers!

Btw, the instructions that your signature is a URL may be missing from the dark theme:

(Dylan Hunt) #58

Bwahaha, already removed the feature. I’m a bit surprised there’s no resize – some guy instantly set his signature to a 1/2 page hero banner O_o

(Daniela) #59

You can resize it with a bit of CSS, see Discourse Signatures

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #60

Well, there is a reason this isn’t a core feature :stuck_out_tongue:

Admins will have to constantly evaluate signatures sizes and weight added to every page.

(Michael Ball) #61

Thanks for this! We have a lot of members in our community who like signatures.

One main question:

Is there an easy way to not show signatures in quotes? This seems, well…a bit excessive and I’m not aware of many situations where you want signatures in the quoted material, especially if you quote the same author in blocks.

Edit: I figured this out… It’s a limitation in the “Quote Text” mechanism. If you have the whole last paragraph of a signature-enabled post, it grabs the signature into the quoted body. (You can see it in the editor).

I’m also going to put my vote in for a site-wide default on option. I can totally see why plenty of people would want to have this off, but if you want to have signatures (as a community), then it seems weird to default them to off since most new users will ever have any idea that signatures are a thing, and then most people will never set them…

(Jeff Atwood) #62

That’s the idea! :wink: