Discourse Signatures

official

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #1

Hey guys, we all know forum signatures are a past thing, but there are still a lot of communities that really like then.

So since Discourse is :rainbow: I crafted a plugin that let’s we take back our much loved (gif animated) signatures!

Meet Discourse Signatures.

Thanks to:

• @charleswalter who pushed for this and made it possible
  • @eviltrout for making it compatible with latest Discourse
  • And all the Discourse team for such amazing project.

Forums using it:

Plugin for signatures?
User's signature in post
How to add data? How to add here the data from the extra fields?
Some topics are not displayed due to signatures plugin
(Daniela) #2

Admins can set max width and height for signatures?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #3

There is a div wrapping it all, so you can target it with CSS and set something like this:

.signature-img {
  max-height: 300px;
}

(Daniela) #4

Perfect, I love this feature but i don’t want huge signatures for poor posts.
Thanks @Falco!

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #5

Signatures are usually more work for moderators that need to verify sizes and edit signatures that are out of the accepted for the community.

However, if we can craft some good validations, I can add then to the plugin code.

(Charles Walter) #6

It has worked well on Helloforos.com for now using css to control the max height and width. In the end it is up to users to want to see them or not. Might be helpful if they could disable on mobile but leave on desktop. Probably consumes more data than needed for mobile users.

In general, our community was very happy to have the signature feature. It was the most requested, and making it a profile option allowed for it to not interfere with the experience of those who didnt want to see them.

(Marco) #7

Good man!

EDIT:
I have not seen the option!
Great!

(@SenpaiMass) #8

Is this plugin still functional on latest discourse?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #9

Yes, but not on prettyes6 branch. I’ll make it compatible with es6 soon, tough.

(@SenpaiMass) #10

Thank you very much,

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #11

Please report any problems. Also if you use the advanced mode, send me a link, I’m eager to see it in action.

(@SenpaiMass) #12

I have a secondary site which is still in development, i will install it now and forward you the link.

(Joe Fedric) #13

I installed the plugin, and the images appear to work fine, but when I enable the advanced mode, and have any content in that box, posts that I’ve contributed to (where I would see the signature) display an entirely blank page. Removing the content, but leaving the option enabled appears to restore the view. I’m not sure what’s blocking it, but it could be a conflicting CSS class. Any tips on where I might want to look? If you need more info about what I tried, I’ll be happy to provide it.

~Joe

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #14

Maybe it broke on latest, I’ll try to reproduce and fix.

(Joe Fedric) #15

Good deal! If you need more info just let me know.

~Joe

(Daniela) #16

For now I add on mobile CSS

/*Signatures plugin*/
.user-signature {
    display: none;
}

because I’m too lazy to write media query for all the devices :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #17

Fixed:

Also fixed the signatures position, that broke on VDom migration.

(Joe Fedric) #18

Nice, I just added a Material theme, so I’m working on fleshing out those updates and getting feedback from users, before I update and re-enable. Thanks! I’ll provide feedback as soon as I can test it.

(Andrew Bereza) #19

Any way to set Signatures as visible by default? I don’t want them to be toggle-on for users.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

We don’t want to support that feature, so if you need it, you’ll have to build it yourself.