Discourse snowing effect?

We are currently “decorating” our Discourse for the holidays. Would it be possible to add a snowing effect to the forum? Similar to what WordPress blogs had back in the day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, such a thing is possible, but I’m not aware of a theme that does it. Here’s Christmas hats component, though.

2 Likes

We’ve been using the hats component for a while now, not only on Christmas. :slight_smile: Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

Here’s one I experimented with - I’ve now put it on GitHub:

9 Likes

Exactly what we were looking for! Looks fantastic, thank you!

3 Likes

I’ve created some seasonal theme components for both Halloween and Christmas for my forum. I used CSS last year, but it used quite a lot of CPU, as David points out. This year, I used JavaScript with better (and more attractive) results – you can see them at the link below:

The CodePen from which I got the script is here

I just put the script in the </head> section of a new theme component, and voila! Snow!

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Also for David’s theme, to reduse CPU usage, we have removed two of the .png snow files.

In Edit CSS:

background-image: url($s3);

We also reduced the speed, as well as the opacity, so its more calm. Once again, thank you guys!

2 Likes

I love it @cjk77. I updated my component so it now has two options - the default is now the javascript-based one you shared :snowman_with_snow:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 27 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.