Winter snow theme component ❄

This theme component adds some animated snow to your forum.

:christmas_tree: Warning: the animations will increase browser CPU usage :santa:

:eye: Demo

:link: Repository

Javascript mode (shared by @cjk77 here):

CSS Mode (adapted from here)

35 Likes

Thanks - now with snow :smiley:

Installation:

Go to: /admin/customize/themes
Choose Compontes - add Install.
Paste in the link: https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-snow-theme.git
Go back to admin/customize/themes and find your theme.
Click it and you can customize your theme.
Scroll down
Add the new component to your theme.

And your have :snowflake:

10 Likes

I’ve got a couple of users using Firefox and Opera where this isn’t working (configured with js-mode), but the codepen example of the code does work. Works fine in Chrome. Any ideas?

ETA: Both users have confirmed that css mode works for them

1 Like

It seems to be a Chrome-only component. On Firefox, with JS-mode, there’s nothing, and with CSS mode there’s a wall of jerky snow flakes that covers the screen, so it’s not really usable.

3 Likes

It is now updated so that js-mode works for Firefox. I haven’t tested Opera, but I suspect the same fix will help there as well.

14 Likes

Can confirm it’s now working for both of my users, Firefox and Opera. Thanks for the fix.

5 Likes

I use Opera,

looked great but as David noted

the CPU is too much,

1% without up to 39% with,

Sadly had to go :pensive:

5 Likes

is there a way to make this have random fireworks instead of snow?

and my CPU never increased with the snow, used it on desktops and phones, my entire forum loved it, and not one complaint about CPU usage

9 Likes

Hi! I love this, it’s adorable and really brings things to life. I’m wondering, however, if it’s possible to make it appear only to the right and left/in the unused space beside the board (or go behind it)? That way it doesn’t snow all over the text and make reading difficult.

4 Likes

Seems to work fine with the latest discourse release…

2 Likes

Pretty love this theme component, but is there a way that change the “point” (or should I say “dot”?) to real snow icon?

1 Like