Discourse to discourse SSO

(Bhanu Sharma) #1

I’ve been discussing this idea with one of my colleagues who also happens to be running a forum on discourse about the possibility to allow the users of one forum to sign in to the other forum without having to create a new account.

I couldn’t find anyone doing this so I wanted to ask if discourse SSO is capable of allowing other discourse instances as a client?

(Kane York) #2

Yes, just enable “sso provider” on the “primary” forum that you expect everyone to have an account on.

(Bhanu Sharma) #3

I had thought of that, I’ll give it a shot but It’s more like a mutual thing, We have separate user base on both forums, Will it be possible to sync users of all the secondary forum to the primary forum?

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

The problem with SSO, as I think you’ve realized, is that it’s all it nothing. You’re likely better if just using social logins.

If you do want to have both sites share a single user database you’ll need to pull over the users. There’s not an easy way to do that that I am aware of. One solution might be to use category export /import, which would create the users (and then you’d hide or delete the imported categories). You’d need to know that everyone had posted at least once.

(Bhanu Sharma) #5

So basically local logins can’t be synced to the SSO server?

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

If you want server B to use server A as the SSO master, you’d need to create all of B’s users on A. I’m not aware of a script that does that.

There are a couple ways I could imagine doing it. If you’ve got a budget post in #marketplace or see my contact info in my profile.

(Bhanu Sharma) #7

I haven’t thought of a budget yet but I’d get in touch to discuss the possibilities…

(Quim Gil) #8

Would it be a crazy idea to offer https://meta.discourse.org login as a social login for other Discourse instances (enabling this social login)? Imagine, a login for all Discourse instances.

(Kane York) #9

Take a look at the old #discourse_hub topics: Unique user names in Discourse Hub