Discourse Units - Convert durations, lengths and masses

Discourse Units

discourse-units is a theme component that automatically detects and converts durations, lengths and masses between various scales to make them easier to comprehend.

Example:

units_length units_duration

The theme component can be found on GitHub:

How to install it?

The repository link is:

https://github.com/udan11/discourse-units.git
36 Likes

I think the words recognized as units can be done better. Here is an example where the word, “invites” is being catched as “inches”.

4 Likes

I remember this being a bit tricky. I did not check for the “unit” to be a whole word because I wanted to avoid defining all forms (singular and plural) of measurement units (min, minute, mins, minutes). I will have to do it.

2 Likes

Hi @dan

Might be a good idea (1) not to convert or display your conversion for any number which does not have units behind it; and (2) to have a white list of acceptable units and only convert those; to save you from having an intractable problem.

HTH

1 Like

One plan of attack would be to have a few “acceptable full forms” and only accept truncations of those - so mins, minutes and ins, inches -> in yes, inside no (there are extra letters on the end).

2 Likes

Would be useful if you can limit the type of units you would like to convert, for instance to just limit to convert weight measurements, and if possible be more specific and limit to specifics units like just pounds to kilos and kilos to pounds.

2 Likes