Discourse update error

That’s a different error. Would be best to post in a new thread. Thanks for including a good proportion of the log. Please in your new thread add

• the output of discourse-doctor
  • whether you are running a standard install
  • the version of OS you are running

in every case, before upgrading, everyone should

• take a backup
  • copy that backup to their local system or to another safe place
1 Like

I do hope you took a backup and have a safe copy of it before you started the first upgrade.

Your kernel is too old, because your OS version is very old. As pointed out upthread, you have limited options for updating your kernel.

Upgrading your OS in place will probably be lengthy and difficult. The usual advice is to start up a fresh new OS, install discourse, and restore your backup. (Ideally, don’t delete anything existing until your new world is completely working. If you end up on a new instance with a new IP address, you’ll need to update your DNS)

3 Likes

I am unable to update the kernel and facing errors at different stages of the update.
I don’t have a backup on my PC but I have a backup in the forum.

1 Like

Having a safe copy of a backup is probably the top priority.

(I take the backup in the usual way from the web page, then copy to my own machine, then take a safe copy of that copy onto another disk or offsite.)

1 Like

If you can ssh to your discourse server then you should be able to use ‘scp’ to copy a file to your PC. I don’t know if Putty directly supports that. But if you use Linux or any unix-like shell on a Windows machine, you should have scp.

1 Like

how can I get that backup on my PC.

1 Like

If you’re using Windows, I think there is also a WinSCP. On the server the backups will be in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups

3 Likes

Yeah I got the backup, can I get the forum back using this backup, including posts, users and settings too?

1 Like

Yes, install Discourse following the standard install guide and after it’s up you can restore that backup.

3 Likes

The only “important” thing that isn’t included in the backup is your /containers/app.yml configuration file. It contains among other things your plugins list if you have any. It can be a good idea to copy this somewhere so you can install them on your new instance. The plugins’ settings, however, are stored in the database which is in the backup file. :slight_smile:

1 Like

can I restore this backup in current install?

1 Like

By current, do you mean new install? Then it should work yes.

1 Like

Personally, I would want to be 100% confident that the backup is complete and correct, and so I would want to bring up a new install and successfully restore, before I destroy the old one. This does mean briefly paying for two instances from your hosting provider.

I should also declare that I have never yet needed to try a restore. So I am inexperienced in the practice.

4 Likes

I usually wait a day or two after I shut down the old instance.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Apt-get update fails inside container yarn repo not signed

installed new and restored from backup

5 Likes

Everything’s working then? I’m glad you got that sorted :partying_face::+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.