Discourse update keeps failing

Correct,

Oh, unless you’re referring to Falco’s suggestion, in which case updates should be fine as the version for the “failing” gem file is being locked to the working version.

3 Likes

Yeah. I was referring to the sed hook. OK, I see, in theory that would force the older gem version so updating would be OK. If the old commit build finishes (and it’s looking good so far), I may go back to the current commit and try that hook as a test. Build finished, let’s see if I’m back up …

1 Like

Back up on old commit. Thanks all! Since I know that will work, I’ll rebuild on the current commit with the sed hook to test.

1 Like

Build test with this failed. I may be specifying it incorrectly. Here’s the error:

Pups::ExecError: sed -i -e 's/oj (3.13.*/oj (3.13.14)/' Gemfile.lock failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 222 exit 2>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cmd"=>["sed -i -e 's/oj (3.13.*/oj (3.13.14)/' Gemfile.lock"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 2

Here’s how I added it:

## Plugins go here
## see https://meta.discourse.org/t/19157 for details
hooks:
  after_code:

### Attempted fix
    - exec:
	cmd:
          - sed -i -e 's/oj (3.13.*/oj (3.13.14)/' Gemfile.lock

- exec:
	cd: $home/plugins
	cmd:
          - git clone https://github.com/discourse/docker_manager.git
	  - git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse-push-notifications.git
	  - git clone https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-whos-online.git

Great, ignore me! That is the way to handle a case like this!

To be clear, I completely understand what it is to be part of a free and open-source project, so I do understand you need feedback from the community. (I’m leading one)

The last thing you (I’m addressing the entire team here) can do is to thank the members for bringing it up and for their effort in researching the issue and also give them a follow-up on what you have done so far.
Is that really so hard to do?!?

2 Likes

I have this patched here:

It should land in our source tree within the next hour. Let me know if it works.

11 Likes

Thank you for letting us know.

2 Likes

Build OK, now running 2.9.0.beta7 successfully. Thank you and thanks to everyone for the rapid response to this issue – much appreciated!

3 Likes

I can also confirm the temporary fix worked on our side. Thank you very much for providing this fix.

For us, unfortunately, this fix came too late because the wheels are already set in motion to cancel the current server (AMD Opteron 4180) for a more modern one. Eleven days ago, I had no idea if you were going to leave me dead in the water or were seriously looking for a fix.
From next month on, we have to pay double the amount a month because of this issue and we are a small non-profit Open-source project.

Like our project, you have an incredible team of coders, but communication-wise, you honestly should work on serious improvements.
Leaving someone, who with big help from @jonathon, found the bug after the forum was down for more than 24 hours, in the dark for ten days without any communication of some sort is something you should be embarrassed about.

I don’t think I have to remind you that you are providing a platform for people who want to communicate with their community.
I think you and your team are providing one of the finest, perhaps the finest, forum software there is to date. I wasn’t as much upset about the technical issue, but more about the lack of communication. Please learn from this case.

2 Likes

[oj gem] v3.13.20 is out now and disables [SSEv4.2] by default: #806

3 Likes

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Just in case anyone is hitting this and wants/needs to rebuild before discourse_docker is updated with a newer image, you can edit the /var/discourse/launcher script and pick a newer base image to build from, e.g.:

-image="discourse/base:2.0.20220720-0049"
+image="discourse/base:2.0.20220812-0056"

The newer image includes the oj=0.3.14 gem pin from Discourse update keeps failing - #69 by sam and so the rebuild will complete successfully.

1 Like

The image version in launcher was bumped. A git pull will get the latest:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.