Problem when updating Discourse Forum

Hello everyone!
I was trying to update the discourse forum using the link posted in admin panel and i got this error. The whole forum just gone. What should i do now to reset the update? Thanks a lot if anyone could help me. :sob:

1 Like

In fact it means that your forum is being updated. - unless you interrupt the update before it finishes.

Try visiting your forum https://yoursite.com/latest.json. If it returns something, then wait 10 minutes and see if the problem resolves itself

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I tried the method you gave and it returns 502 Bad Gateway nginx.

It looks like you may have to ./launcher rebuild app

I tried the ./launcher rebuild app and i got following error messages:

FAILED

--------------------

Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --retry 3 --jobs 4 --verbose --without test development' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 340 exit 5>

Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'

exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --retry 3 --jobs 4 --verbose --without test development'"]}

6e9e60bd6b6113cdcb001127fd2a24fe86f2a1658bf24500e5e2b720fd793510

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.

./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

and i scrolled up and found some possible errors logs:

1)200:M 25 Jun 2023 16:00:16.252 # Failed listening on port 6379 (TCP), aborting.

2)[DEPRECATED] The `--deployment` flag is deprecated because it relies on being remembered across bundler invocations, which bundler will no longer do in future versions. Instead please use `bundle config set --local deployment 'true'`, and stop using this flag

[DEPRECATED] The `--without` flag is deprecated because it relies on being remembered across bundler invocations, which bundler will no longer do in future versions. Instead please use `bundle config set --local without 'test development'`, and stop using this flag

3)Bundler::PathError: The path `/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/bundler/gems/sprockets-f4d3dae71ef2` does not exist.

4)Bundler::InstallError: sass-embedded-1.63.6-x86_64-linux requires rubygems version >= 3.3.22, which is incompatible with the current version, 3.2.18

Someone else encountered a similar issue recently if this is any help?

Thanks a lot for your reply, but i guess it is not the same problem, my server is at Germany. I’m using discourse docker image for my server. What should i do if ./launcher rebuild app doesn’t work?

1 Like

Looks similar to
Rebuild failed due to ruby gem incompatibility

1 Like

Thanks for your help! Yes, it looks similar and I tried:

my server:/var/discourse**$ git pull

fatal: Not a git repository: ../.git/modules/discourse_docker

Should i do something before running git pull? I was doing this in my server’s /var/discourse.

Seems possible you have an unusual setup - is this a standard install?

1 Like

I read the last programmer’s documents for me and it says because many things of the web running behind nginx and discourse also needs to be hosted behind nginx. The standard install doesn’t work for my situation.

and the following is how he said in the document and how he did:

Discourse runs in a docker container. However, it requires a special kind of configuration, not via a docker-compose.yml or a .conf file.

The discourse-project/ the github repository required to config and build the docker-image can be found here. Ignore the nice and juicy “discourse-setup” program they provide, that won’t work here. We need to configure the app ourselves.

1. clone discourse_docker to /var/discourse: git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
  2. go to the folder and use a provided sample configuration: cd /var/discourse && cp samples/standalone.yml containers/app.yml
  3. then edit the containers/app.yml file (e.g. with sudo nano)
  • Changes were made to the hosting section, the smtp settings for mail and - important - the expose section so only an unused port is exposed to the outside
  • To run discourse on a path such as “/forum” some more changes were needed as described here
  • Some problems also occur with the email-authentication:
    • The mail that sends emails is here “server’s email”. However, Discourse expects the mail to have the same domain as its host, namely “server’s email”
      • Solution described here
    • Also use “DISCOURSE_SMTP_AUTHENTICATION: login” as another env option. Why also always . . .
  1. Then build the app from the /var/discourse directory with sudo ./launcher bootstrap app. This takes quite a while
  2. Then you may be able to start the discourse container with sudo ./launcher start app.
1 Like

Those are good notes.

The git pull;./launcher rebuild app should work.

What version are you updating from?

Is he os out of date? (cat /etc/issue)

Is the disk full? (df - h)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! The version I’m updating from is 2.8.0.beta6 and last update was at 28.09.2021.

After running cat /etc/issue i got:
Debian GNU/Linux 9 \n \l

And the following are Information according to ./discourse-doctor

==================== MEMORY INFORMATION ====================
RAM (MB): 4050

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3955         427        1152          63        2375        3182
Swap:             0           0           0

==================== DISK SPACE CHECK ====================
---------- OS Disk Space ----------
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        63G   27G   34G  45% /

==================== DISK INFORMATION ====================
Disk /dev/sda: 64 GiB, 68719476736 bytes, 134217728 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xc0b6220c

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1        2048 134217727 134215680  64G 83 Linux

You might add swap.

Also, see PostgreSQL 13 update.

Did you rebuild more than once?

See also Debian | endoflife.date

You really need to move everything to a new vm with a supported operating system. So you’ll also need to get whatever the other stuff you have running upgraded as well.

1 Like

hello jammy, after times of fail installation , i found it’s caused by memory limit of server and network, i suggest you to use a server of 4GB Mem and access normally of github and ruby

This error bothers me - do you still see it? The docker container should now be running 3.2.0

But if your /var/discourse is not a git directory, something has been done which is different from the instructions. It prevents an update and causes the ruby version mismatch. For me:

/var/discourse# git status
On branch main
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'.

Also we see a .git directory:

# ls -a /var/discourse/
.     .github     README.md  cids              discourse-setup  launcher     scripts    tests
..    .gitignore  bin        containers        image            rebuild.log  shared
.git  LICENSE     c          discourse-doctor  index.html       samples      templates

Edit: but it’s true, if you’re on a too-old OS, you have some work to do, to install discourse in a new OS and recover your backup, and also to do all the extra things which might be needed for your specific situation.

If your server is doing more things than just running discourse then that’s an extra complication. You may need local expertise.

3 Likes

I have a comparable failure with ruby gems etc.
It was a fresh install on a new server.

Thank you guys for helping, I will try your suggestions one by one to fix the problem. If there is any feedback(good or bad), I will post it back in the forum. Thanks again

1 Like

I successfully installed the new version discourse. I just followed the instructions in the document above and i worked for me. But now I have trouble to restore from the backup.
I tried Restore a backup from the command line but i got following:

root@my_server:/var/www/discourse# discourse restore my_server-2023-06-20-033008-v20210922064213.tar.gz
Starting restore: my_server-2023-06-20-033008-v20210922064213.tar.gz
[STARTED]
'system' has started the restore!
Marking restore as running...
Making sure /var/www/discourse/tmp/restores/default/2023-06-29-113408 exists...
Copying archive to tmp directory...
Unzipping archive, this may take a while...
EXCEPTION: /var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec': Failed to decompress archive.

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:171:in `execute_command'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:33:in `execute_command'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/backup_file_handler.rb:78:in `decompress_archive'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/backup_file_handler.rb:23:in `decompress'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/restorer.rb:42:in `run'
script/discourse:149:in `restore'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor.rb:392:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/thor-1.2.2/lib/thor/base.rb:485:in `start'
script/discourse:290:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `kernel_load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:23:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:492:in `exec'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor.rb:392:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:34:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/base.rb:485:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:28:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/exe/bundle:45:in `block in <top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/lib/bundler/friendly_errors.rb:117:in `with_friendly_errors'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/bundler-2.4.13/exe/bundle:33:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
Trying to rollback...
There was no need to rollback
Cleaning stuff up...
Removing tmp '/var/www/discourse/tmp/restores/default/2023-06-29-113408' directory...
Marking restore as finished...
Notifying 'system' of the end of the restore...
Finished!
[FAILED]
Restore done.

What should i do now?

Something is wrong with your backup file. It might just be truncated.

1 Like