Discussing a topic with repeated official answers

(Andy Fuchs) #1

hi jeff,
just a note/question… why are you that harsh and closed the last topic without a hint?
Don’t you want normal users to pickup on discourse? Not everybody is a Rack/Rails guru and immediately understands the workings…
At first I was under the impression it’s all about ‘civilized discussions’.
If I’m wrong, please let me know what went wrong.
Cheers
andy
BTW: The ‘Create a new Topic’ field doesn’t update when typing (under OSX 10.10.1, Safari (latest))

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The hint is that the same official answer was repeated multiple times. Pretty sure I said exactly that, in the topic.

When a topic has an answer repeated several times, it becomes redundant and a waste of everyone’s time for the same things to be repeated over and over. Topics like that will be closed.

(TheLoneCuber) #3

In some cases it could be argued that repeated topics highlight ongoing, unaddressed user issues. It must be recognised that aged topics are often out-of-date and relevant only to days gone by, and older versions of Discourse. My Super Search Box topic got closed immediately yesterday so I replied here… to an April post about the matter. But I’m mostly dark about the shutdown because it was an excellent title, a great name for what should be a default Discourse option, and I wanted the naming credits.

(Michael Downey) #4

One could even call it a “frequently asked question”… :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

More like “I don’t care for the official answer so I am going to keep asking until the answer changes” :wink: