Docker: Error response from daemon: Could not get container for data

Setup: AWS, EC2 with Ubuntu 14.04, Redis on ElastiCache, and PostgreSQL on RDS
Docker version: 1.10.1

Error Message:

root@ip-10-0-3-99:/var/discourse# ./launcher bootstrap web_only
cd /pups && git pull && /pups/bin/pups --stdin
docker: Error response from daemon: Could not get container for data.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.
cat: cids/web_only_bootstrap.cid: No such file or directory
docker: "rm" requires a minimum of 1 argument.
See '/usr/bin/docker rm --help'.

Usage:	docker rm [OPTIONS] CONTAINER [CONTAINER...]

Remove one or more containers
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one

Instead of using web_only.yml I switched to standalone.yml and added a remote DB and redis config to it. This worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Could you explain it in details, I’ve experienced with the same issue? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that happens when trying to bootstrap the app in multi-container mode (i.e. not using the standalone.yml config but the web_only.yml and data.yml or any other config which doesn’t setup database and webapp in the same container.

After bootstrapping the container with the database (e.g. ./launcher bootstrap data), you have to start the database container before you can bootstrap the web container (e.g. ./launcher start data before ./launcher bootstrap web_only).

If there is no database access when bootstrapping the web app, you get this (rather hard to understand) error message.

See also Isn't it weird that you can't build docker image without Redis and Postgres connection?