Docs: Add link to top menu

Hi,

Loving this plugin. Just wondering if would be possible to have the possibility of adding Docs in the list of the top menu setting besides of under the hamburger menu, to appear close to Latest, Categories, etc…

Cheers,
Ismael

1 Like

I think that’s a reasonable ask. I’ll add it to my list. Also fits in with some of the documentation improvements here on Meta we’re working through.

3 Likes

Great, many thanks Justin.

Just let me take advantage of this post to also propose some nice-to-have features for this plugin:

Given the visualization of one of the documents in the documentation:

In 1, would be fantastic to have the TOC component (maybe makes sense to be included with the plugin?)

In 2, would be also nice to have controls to go next and back to the next/previous topic of the same category. This could allow administrators to prepare a kind of documentation wizard for users (.e.g, given a topic how to create my awesome sitea link tohow to configure ... → etc.).

In 3, what about adding the possibility of adding boxes with feature topics with the categories that are linked in the docs plugin?

Cheers,
Ismael

2 Likes

DiscoTOC is already compatible with it, I believe!

Given the nature of the plugin, there’s not really an order to topics, so the feasibility of this is a little challenging. Probably the best way to handle this is edit the OP to feature links.

Maybe? I’d have to see some justification for building this into Docs first. We have plugin outlets in the Docs section where you can extend it however you’d like using a theme component. We did this here:

4 Likes

Indeed! Confirmed it works.

Loving this, this is what I was looking for. What’s the name of this component/feature?

Many thanks, imho it’s definitely the way to go :clap:

Cheers,
Ismael

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s a closed-source customization, but feel free to use it as inspiration!

2 Likes

image <<< Looks like this.

Added this “Expore” button using Custom Nav Links component.

2 Likes

Indeed, this can also be achievable through this, many thanks for the hint @sunjam (by the way, the link is broken, just remove the last dis typo).

However, in my case I’m more in favour of having it as part of the plugin as Justin has mentioned, if finally gets added. At the end it’s a matter of having less dependencies around.

Cheers,
Ismael

1 Like

This is done!

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs/commit/2ee446b1fa8b2f725a519a18c7d2405e0a28e1a4

4 Likes