Does Discourse container use unattended-upgrades?

Does the Discourse docker container use unattended-upgrades to keep its Debian-backed docker container’s OS packages up-to-date?

I noticed that the INSTALL-cloud.md guide recommends installing unattended-upgrades on the docker host machine, so I got wondering about the state of the OS packages inside the docker container. I searched both the discourse and discourse_docker repos on github, but the only reference I could find to unattended-upgrades was the same install doc

But what about the Discourse docker container? Does it use unattended-upgrades?

1 Like

After further digging, it appears that unattended-upgrades is installed but not running on the Discourse docker container.

First, it’s clearly installed

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# dpkg -l | grep -i unatt
ii  unattended-upgrades             1.11.2                       all          automatic installation of security upgrades
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# 

Further inspecting of the unattended-upgrades package’s config per the relevant Debian wiki article shows

The default config looks sane

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# grep -ir 'origin=' /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades 
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-updates";
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-proposed-updates";
		"origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian";
		"origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian-Security";
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades 
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

But checking the logs show the last entry was 1 month ago

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# tail -f /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades*.log
==> /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-dpkg.log <==
Log started: 2019-11-17  12:34:54
(Reading database ... 44559 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing freetype2-doc (2.9.1-3+deb10u1) ...
Log ended: 2019-11-17  12:34:54

Log started: 2019-11-17  12:34:56
(Reading database ... 44389 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libjs-jquery (3.3.1~dfsg-3) ...
Log ended: 2019-11-17  12:34:57

==> /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log <==
2019-11-26 16:37:47,549 INFO Initial blacklist : 
2019-11-26 16:37:47,550 INFO Initial whitelist: 
2019-11-26 16:37:47,551 INFO Starting unattended upgrades script
2019-11-26 16:37:47,552 INFO Allowed origins are: origin=Debian,codename=buster,label=Debian, origin=Debian,codename=buster,label=Debian-Security
2019-11-26 16:37:50,811 INFO Checking if system is running on battery is skipped. Please install powermgmt-base package to check power status and skip installing updates when the system is running on battery.
2019-11-26 16:37:50,814 INFO Initial blacklist : 
2019-11-26 16:37:50,815 INFO Initial whitelist: 
2019-11-26 16:37:50,815 INFO Starting unattended upgrades script
2019-11-26 16:37:50,815 INFO Allowed origins are: origin=Debian,codename=buster,label=Debian, origin=Debian,codename=buster,label=Debian-Security
2019-11-26 16:37:53,119 INFO No packages found that can be upgraded unattended and no pending auto-removals
^C

…Even though the default systemd timers defined for unattended-upgrades are set to run at least once per day

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# cat /lib/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer
[Unit]
Description=Daily apt download activities

[Timer]
OnCalendar=*-*-* 6,18:00
RandomizedDelaySec=12h
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# cat /etc/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer.d/override.conf
cat: /etc/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer.d/override.conf: No such file or directory
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# cat /lib/systemd/system/apt-daily-upgrade.timer
[Unit]
Description=Daily apt upgrade and clean activities
After=apt-daily.timer

[Timer]
OnCalendar=*-*-* 6:00
RandomizedDelaySec=60m
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# cat /etc/systemd/system/apt-daily-upgrade.timer.d/override.conf
cat: /etc/systemd/system/apt-daily-upgrade.timer.d/override.conf: No such file or directory

But, indeed, those timers are disabled.

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# sudo systemctl status apt-daily.timer
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down
root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# sudo systemctl status apt-daily-upgrade.timer
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

This is further confirmed by manually running unattended-upgrades, which just happened to require an update to two git-related packages

root@osestaging1-discourse-ose:/var/www/discourse# sudo unattended-upgrade -d
Checking: git ([<Origin component:'main' archive:'stable' origin:'Debian' label:'Debian-Security' site:'security.debian.org' isTrusted:True>])
Checking: git-man ([<Origin component:'main' archive:'stable' origin:'Debian' label:'Debian-Security' site:'security.debian.org' isTrusted:True>])
pkgs that look like they should be upgraded: git   
git-man
All upgrades installed
InstCount=0 DelCount=0 BrokenCount=0
Extracting content from /var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-dpkg.log since 2019-12-24 17:32:55

The git version that was updated in the above unattended-upgrades run was git (1:2.20.1-2+deb10u1). I ran this test today (2019-12-24), but the security upgrade had been available to Debian Buster (the OS on which the Discourse docker image is built) for two weeks (since 2019-12-10)!

This is actually a pretty serious upgrade that fixes several vulnerabilities, including two vectors for Remote Code Execution. More info is available at the Debian Security Advisory 4581-1

But git is just an example I happened to stumble on. It’s extremely concerning if the Discourse docker container doesn’t (by default) actually apply security-related patches to its OS.

Is this a bug? Or was this an intentional decision by the Discourse team? Or is this just the default in-lieu of a feature request to enable unattended-upgrades on the Discourse docker container?

My guess is that it’s off on purpose as it might break something, and the image itself is updated when a serious security issue is found.

You can enable it if you want, just enter the container.

1 Like

Actually, I just realized that Discourse’s docker image is setup to use runit. Is systemd even installed on the Discourse docker container?

My guess is not having systemd installed is what’s breaking unattended-upgrades.

Sounds right. Some people really don’t like systemd. So you can either trust that the base container gets updated regularly by people running a large team of professionals that depends on it, or you can do it some other way yourself and hope that you don’t break anything.

No it doesn’t and we don’t plan to make it use. The recommendation is to keep your host OS updated with the latest security patches.

6 Likes

Which, for the record, it is.

5 Likes

fyi, I fixed the broken unattended-upgrades install (which doesn’t actually run without systemd on the Discourse docker container) by triggering it to run via a cron job.

I created the following yaml template file in my /var/discourse/templates/ dir to create the necessary cron job (note that it also has a command to fix a bug with cron shipped in the Debian-based Discourse docker image):

cat << EOF > /var/discourse/templates/unattended-upgrades.template.yml
run:
  - file:
     path: /etc/cron.d/unattended-upgrades
     contents: |+
        ################################################################################
        # File:    /etc/cron.d/unattended-upgrades
        # Version: 0.2
        # Purpose: run unattended-upgrades in lieu of systemd. For more info see
        #           * https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Discourse
        #           * https://meta.discourse.org/t/does-discourse-container-use-unattended-upgrades/136296/3
        # Author:  Michael Altfield <michael@opensourceecology.org>
        # Created: 2020-03-23
        # Updated: 2020-04-23
        ################################################################################
        20 04 * * * root /usr/bin/nice /usr/bin/unattended-upgrades --debug

- exec: /bin/echo -e "\n" >> /etc/cron.d/unattended-upgrades
  # fix the Docker cron bug https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43323754/cannot-make-remove-an-entry-for-the-specified-session-cron
  - exec: /bin/sed --in-place=.\`date "+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"\` 's%^\([^#]*\)\(session\s\+required\s\+pam_loginuid\.so\)$%\1#\2%' /etc/pam.d/cron
EOF

To enable the above template file, you have to add it to your list of templates in your app’s yaml file. For example,

[root@osestaging1 discourse]# head -n20 /var/discourse/containers/app.yml
## this is the all-in-one, standalone Discourse Docker container template
##
## After making changes to this file, you MUST rebuild
## /var/discourse/launcher rebuild app
##
## BE *VERY* CAREFUL WHEN EDITING!
## YAML FILES ARE SUPER SUPER SENSITIVE TO MISTAKES IN WHITESPACE OR ALIGNMENT!
## visit http://www.yamllint.com/ to validate this file as needed

templates:
  - "templates/unattended-upgrades.template.yml"
  - "templates/postgres.template.yml"
  - "templates/redis.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.template.yml"
#  - "templates/web.socketed.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.modsecurity.template.yml"
  - "templates/web.ratelimited.template.yml"
## Uncomment these two lines if you wish to add Lets Encrypt (https)
  #- "templates/web.ssl.template.yml"
  #- "templates/web.letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml"
[root@osestaging1 discourse]# 

It seems that it is enabled on a fresh Discourse docker image (running Debian 10). It is launched through runit -> cron -> /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat -> /usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily

It was also running on a one-year-old Ubuntu 16-based docker image (based on discourse/base:2.0.20190321-0122), I am pretty sure without any customization.

1 Like

systemd isn’t installed, so it never actually runs.

1 Like