Does Gemfile need to include svg?

On my dev environment Sidekiq was whining that

svgo worker: `svgo` not found; please provide proper binary or disable this worker (--no-svgo argument or `:svgo => false` through options)

I finally did a gem install svg and restarted sidekiq. The message seems to have gone away (it only ever showed up sometimes, so I’m not entirely convinced).

Does Gemfile need to include:

gem 'svg'

So that bundle install would have installed it?

I can’t tell if this fixed my problem with image URLs not getting baked on my import or if that’s coincidence.

1 Like

The image tools are usually provided by the Docker image. Take a look at the Dockerfile and the install scripts install-gifsicle, install-pngcrush and install-pngquant. I’m not sure if all of those are still used by Discourse.

I installed the following packages on my Ubuntu development VM in order to get rid of the warnings.

sudo apt install advancecomp jhead jpegoptim libjpeg-turbo-progs optipng npm nodejs-legacy
sudo npm install svgo -g

Some of them are already installed by the script mentioned in the Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on Ubuntu for Development.

4 Likes

Thanks, @gerhard. Apparently I installed node some other way. Figuring out whether and when to install stuff via apt vs npm seems frought.

Egads. I think I installed node.js this weekend for some other reason some other way, so now I have npm@2.15.9 installed in /usr/bin and npm@3.3.6 in ~/.nvm/versions/node/v5.0.0/bin/npm.

Personal problems aside, @techAPJ, neither the Ubuntu Development Guide nor install-rails/linux mentions svgo. Perhaps you could update one of those?