Don't claim support for Ruby 2.0

Install document currently says:

Ruby 2.0+ (we recommend 2.0.0-p353 or higher)

Actually, Ruby 2.0.0 won’t work. When I tried I got an error from the Sidekiq gem:

uninitialized constant Sidekiq::Sinatra

This was coming from sidekiq.web.rb:

module Sidekiq
  class Web < Sinatra::Base
--------------^

sinatra/base is required above. While I don’t know Ruby, I guessed that this is a language incompatibility. And indeed, the error went away after switching to Ruby 2.1.2.

I don’t know you would have to ask @sam

I think your request is a little over-broad. Sidekiq is tested continuously against Ruby 2.0.0. MRI 2.0 is also listed as an acceptable version in the requirements.

Discourse runs fine under Ruby 2.0, in fact our official Docker image ships with Ruby 2.0

Not sure what you are doing here to get this problem:

1. If you are doing production discourse are you using discourse_docker ?
  2. If you are doing dev work on discourse, describe your setup.
1 Like

Interesting… I was under the impression that the Docker image used Ruby 2.1 but I see now that there are multiple images.

I am doing production Discourse but without Docker - using that with our setup is rather complicated to say the least.

The environment (Puppet-configured) was Ubuntu 12.04, Ruby 2.0.0 installed via RVM (it was 2.0.0-p645 I think), Postgresql 9.3 from apt.postgresql.org, jemalloc. The only thing I changed to make the error go away was asking RVM to install Ruby 2.1.

I tried it again and this time Ruby 2.0.0 worked fine. No idea what when wrong the first time, never mind then.

1 Like