Dot in corner of timeline-container in Chrome / Windows

I wouldn’t be surprised if not many have noticed, but there is a mysterious dot in the top left corner of the timeline-container. I found it while working on a userstyle so at first I thought it was just something I added, but I later noticed that it’s native to the platform.

It’s just one pixel, so it might be hard to spot, but this is what I’m talking about:
chrome_2017-11-19_16-23-13

I am certain it is related to the timeline somehow, since it’s right at the corner of the element, and it moves along with it if I add a translation.
see image

Furthermore, and I have no idea why this would happen, but it changes color along with the background of input elements. The only way I’ve found to remove it is to set the opacity of inputs to 0, but that’s not going to work.
Setting

input {
    background-color: red !important;}

gives this, as you see the dot has changed color.

I’d be very happy if someone knows what is going on here, because except for the input thing I’ve found nothing else which affects it.

3 Likes

Weird, although to be fair I’m not sure most people would have noticed this except for this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does doing this have any adverse effects?

.timeline-container input {
  display: none;
}

It seems to get rid of the dot and I don’t immediately see anything else affected.

1 Like

Oh yes, thank you. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that myself; I must have been too focused on figuring out what it is, haha.

@Kumirei, you have the eye of an eagle, tomorrow I will take an ophthalmic visit…

2 Likes

Where is this dot? Here is an iPad screenshot cropped, can anyone point out where the dot is?

I don’t see it in your image. Actually, I tried it with Edge just now, and it doesn’t show up. I’m on Windows 10 64bit using Chrome v.62. Maybe it’s Chrome rendering something incorrectly.

I can “see” it (see is a big word) on Firefox 57 and win10… after cleaning the screen…

3 Likes

I think it might not be visible if you have the wrench button available, I couldn’t see it on my forums until I impersonated my test account. If you’re on a regular account though it’s there, and actually if you get your cursor right over it, it will change from the regular pointer to the struck-through symbols (one of these: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/ProhibitionSign2.svg/1200px-ProhibitionSign2.svg.png).

6 Likes

it looks like this has something to do with select-box, @joffreyjaffeux is there any reason we’re doing width/height 1px here? I imagine display: none or visibility: hidden would avoid this little dot issue?

.select-box-kit .select-box-kit-offscreen, .select-box-kit .select-box-kit-offscreen:focus {
    margin: -1px;
    width: 1px;
    height: 1px;
    border: 0;
    padding: 0;
    overflow: hidden;
    position: fixed;
    outline: 0;
    left: 0px;
    top: 0px;
7 Likes

This reminds me of a previous job I had in a previous lifetime.

People noticed that stuff like stuck pixels and dead pixels really really extra got on my nerves. So they replaced my background with the same black background I use, except with 1 stuck pixel.

6 Likes

I am sure @joffreyjaffeux is on it!

offscreen is removed in tomorrows release! I will release it tomorrow morning, it contains a lot of fixes and hopefully not much new bugs :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

And gone was the mighty black dot…