"double" notification when @mentioned in chat

I saw that you added notifications for @mentions in the chat.
However, are these “double notifications” really useful?

double notification

I’d rather have only the chat icon notification.

The mention that triggered this:

6 Likes

Absolutely hear you on this, it is certainly confusing.

@markvanlan / @awesomerobot maybe we switch the notification on the chat bubble to be much simplified:

• Only show “blue” for now. No number - this is the only special state it can have:

• We give it special state when there are channels/dms with new activity (it rolls up all the blues)

Then we rely 100% on notifications for important stuff. The circle just means … hey there is some new stuff in chat in case you dig in.

Long term with sideburger this whole icon may go away…

4 Likes

I really worry about this for me personally… I use the green bubble with count to show me when I need to check personal chat. Less for mentions as I check the core notification.

I’m curious what you mean by this - if we have distinct enough state for “you have unread DMs” I’d be happy!

6 Likes

I guess my point is:

• Not super important - something happened in chat → blue circle on chat icon
  • Important - but not critical - you were mentioned in chat → blue (1) count on notifications
  • Very important - New DM message in chant → green (1) count on notifications

We need to unify our notifications and not create a “unicorn” type system for chat.

Long term with sideburger once @osama is done:

• Not super important - something happened in chat → blue circle on chat icon (TBD how we deal with this)
  • Important - but not critical - you were mentioned in chat → blue (1) count on notifications
  • Very important - New DM message in chant → green blue (1) count on notifications
6 Likes