Download and restore of site settings

(Jay Pfaffman) #1

For sites interested in moving to Discourse from another forum or trying out Discourse before an import, it’s tedious to see that settings get moved from a test site to the live one, or that settings done on a live instance can be easily moved to a restore from an import that started with a clean slate.

Now that themes are supported, part of this problem is solved, but it’s still tedious to copy potentially dozens of settings from one site to another.

I started looking at a clean (yet naive) way to do this and started by looking at what data explorer returns for select * from site_settings. That was a good start, but if I reset a value via the web interface, the value still shows up in data explorer. Is it different in rails?

Edit: Another example of my being crazy or looking at the wrong tab. I see now that the setting I changed is still there (of course) but is now blank (as I’d expect). I’d still welcome input on how to best go about this. A plugin that spits out JSON and sucks in an upload?

Any hints on how to go about this?

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Now you can, if you can run a ruby script.

To create/retrieve settings

Create a JSON settings dump by visiting https://discourse.example.com/admin/site_settings.json and saving the file somewhere convenient.

Retrieve your site’s API key from https://discourse.example.com/admin/api/keys

To install these settings to another site

Do this:

./discourse-settings-uploader HOSTNAME API_KEY API_USER SETTINGS_FILE

For example:

./discourse-settings-uploader discourse.example.com d35989078a system site_settings.json

Warning

This script does minimal error checking and could destroy your site, cause fires, or hurt people.

You should make a backup of your site before you use this script.

(Sam Saffron) #4

We should pull this into a rake task, cause I want core to ship with it.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

I’d be flattered.

Would it restore the settings to the local instance, or, as my script does, push them to a remote instance via the API?

On a related note, a rake task to call create_master_key to make it easier to get the API key from a script would be useful.

I’ve tried

echo "ApiKey.create_master_key" | docker exec -w /var/www/discourse -i app bundle exec rails c

but it fails with FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "discourse" (PG::ConnectionBad).

(Sam Saffron) #6

I would just use straight json here:

rake site_settings:export > settings.yml
rake site_settings:import < settings.yml

or something like that.

@blake is also interested so I think he can probably help.

(Blake Erickson) #7

A rake task for this now exists!

Here is an example of an import. It checks for bad settings (NOT FOUND), should show any errors (setting a username that doesn’t exist), and show you which settings changed, and will only update a value if the new setting is different from the current value.

$ rake site_settings:import < ~/tmp/settings.yml

starting import...

NOT FOUND: existing site setting not found for blake_key
Changed title FROM: Discourse TO: Blake's Site
Changed site_description FROM:  TO: Blake's test site
ERROR: site_contact_username: There's no user with that username.
Changed invite_only FROM: f TO: true
Changed login_required FROM: f TO: true

Results:
 Updated:   4
 Not Found: 1
 Errors:    1

Afterwards you can also check the Staff Action logs to verify the changes.

@pfaffman I do still really like your api version, and I would be the perfect tool to add to the discourse CLI app that I started working on a couple of years go that I haven’t had time for but would still like to exist.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Cool. Can’t wait to use it.

Will it work on a file downloaded from /admin/site_settings.json?

Ah. That could be useful! I have a handful of such stuff that will be part of my lc-panel that installs and manages discourse installations. Maybe soon I’ll get it up. . .

(Blake Erickson) #9

Nope, you will need to log into the box and run a site_setting:export > settings.yml

and it will look like this:

---
blake_key: awesome
default_locale: en
title: Blake's Site
site_description: Blake's test site
contact_email: ''
contact_url: ''
notification_email: noreply@unconfigured.discourse.org
site_contact_username: 'blake'

I decided to go with a single line and just do key/value for each setting, rather than including all the other info like last updated, created date, type, etc because I don’t think we really need those right now.

Anyways you could probably write a simple ruby script that parses your json file to the same format as this yaml file.

Also if there was a way to make all site settings read only from the UI, I think this would lead to a cool feature where all site settings could be controlled via git, and if someone wanted to make a change they would have to make a pr. Or a script could be run everyday setting the site’s setting back in case there were any changes. But these are probably all imaginary problems no one actually has.