Easier logo changes for site admins

After the initial site setup wizard it’s not immediately obvious how to change the logo of your site. Historically this was accomplished by uploading the logo to the “Assets for the site design”, copying the URL, and pasting it into site settings. Now we tell admins to simply re-run the wizard, but nothing on the admin’s site itself indicates that this is possible.

We should make this easier!

Step 1 - we should include a link to the wizard in the description of the logo URL site setting, with an explanation that it is safe to re-run the wizard.

Step 2 - it’d be nice if we could extend the wizard such that an “upload logo” button could exist in site settings without requiring the admin to re-run the entire wizard. This would also make it simpler to update logos other than couple of logos included in the wizard.

14 Likes

And nowhere on the admin page has a link to the wizard, so you sort of need to be one to know how to get to it. :slight_smile:

This strikes me as a fantastic idea.

5 Likes

Would it not be a good idea to just replace the “Required” setting section with a screenshot/link to open the wizard? Everything in that section is found in the wizard, is it not?

Or maybe add a “Wizard” section that just opens the Wizard in that side navigation (as maybe there are things that isn’t covered by the wizard in Required)

2 Likes

Almost everything is. Some logos are not in the wizard, nor is the exclude rel nofollow domains. I also don’t want to remove the raw fields - no reason to make someone click though 13 steps of the wizard to change the contact email, or fix a typo in the description. There are also likely users that host their logos externally - the wizard doesn’t support that.

2 Likes

This isn’t really true, though – the READ ME FIRST topic says that in the first lines. You have the power to edit the copy there as you see fit, too.

Also this really does not come up that often; people who run the wizard, and we nag the :poop: out of the first admin to run the wizard, should be clear with this. And the types of users who have, uh, difficulty with this… are going to have difficulty with many other things, too. I’m just sayin’

4 Likes

If you refer to the wish of a logo change, I think it does happen often enough. And the read-me-first might be forgotten until a logo change seems necessary. Furthermore, the wizard does not state whether it will clear out all other data that already existed and forces to create a new Welcome topic, etc.pp.

I do agree, all of it works and most is somehow written somewhere, but imho in the current (2.0.4) state the logo-changing-workflow and UX is just not good.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what’s happened to that topic on our site but as a new admin, I can’t find it.

Also, as a new admin, I’ve never run the wizard & don’t know how to.

I’m not a developer but I consider myself fairly good with tech (I was a Salesforce administrator for a few years, for example) & if I hadn’t found this post, I’m not sure how I’d have figured this out.

Links to the wizard have been added to the description of the logo site settings as part of this larger commit:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/cd2b8d40f1f7fe618a317f9b6111cf42734d208a

I’d still like to see dedicated “upload” buttons right in site settings, as having to navigate to the wizard (and step through all the steps) isn’t ideal. But that’s quite a bit more work than a copy edit.

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Logo upload is not working in wizard or site settings

As of ~2 weeks ago logo URL fields in site settings were replaced by logo fields that upload images from within site settings.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6573

3 Likes

For further discussion on this, see:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.