Easier way to change notification preferences for categories en masse

Now that we’ve enabled mute all categories by default our users are mostly liking it, but are finding it incredibly tedious to click through every single forum to unmute the ones they want. For users with physical challenges or neurodivergence issues, doing so manually one at a time by going to each category and clicking the bell icon is a loooot of clicks that can take a while with as many categories as we have. It took me about 10 minutes last night myself, since I need to be able to see the bulk of the forum for administrative purposes.

1 Like

The Mute All setting removes the “muted” box from user preferences. Perhaps add a “normal” box there in its place? Not necessary for standard forums, but with the mute-all, it would be better if we had a settin where we could mark certain categories as normal (excluding them from mute-all) and the users had the option to add them there.

1 Like

Hello,

Will this help?

https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/categories

It seems like a quicker approach :grin:

1 Like

The problem is with all forums muted, the only options are tracking, watched first, or watched; many users just want standard normal.

2 Likes

We definitely need this in general, but especially on the NaNoWriMo forums.

I have a script that uses the API that fixed this for me (as @Heather_Dudley already knows) but I can’t really use it to help others because I only have an API key for my own account and due to the way SSO is setup, there’s no way to securly authenticate users to generate User API Keys from my own host except with some really hacky workarounds that cause more problems than they solve.

2 Likes