Easiest way to pull other users in on a discussion non-publicly?

(Jan P.) #1

Hi, quite often I know who would be the best candidate to answer a question. What is the best, non-public way to pull these users in to a discussion? Just posting a few words to be able to @mention them seems silly and is also too public as it almost forces them to participate.

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

If you going to mention only staff members then the below plugin will be help you.

(Jan P.) #3

Nice plugin! I could definitely use this for another use-case where I abuse flags right now. Awesome.

But this question is actually about normal community members that I want to rope into a conversation.

(David Taylor) #4

How about using the “invite” button on topics? It seems like exactly what you need.

(Jan P.) #5

I’m on mobile right now. Does this exist here? Can’t find it :confused:

(Vinoth Kannan) #6

Yes. It is exist on mobile view. Are you using SSO feature? If no then check your SiteSettings for invites.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Invites are only available at trust level 2 and higher.

(Jan P.) #8

I found it on my site, seem to be to untrusted here. Thanks all, exactly what I was looking for.

(Jan P.) #9

Actually, maybe not. Used it a few times where it worked just fine - but now I had the use case where I actually wanted the person to tell WHY I invite them and what I expect of them. Is there a way to attach a message with the invitation?

(Jeff Atwood) #10

For that I recommend a PM.

(Jan P.) #11

Ok, makes sense as adapting the Invite system to contain additional text doesn’t seem really possible. Shame.