Educating about trust level group memberships

Yes, this is a fairly recent change we made to try to help educate about trust level groups.

I’m not suggesting a change to category permissions. I think that UI is clear enough and does allow giving permission by group. If you want to be able to do something weird like give TL0 create access but not give create access to TL1, then you can create additional groups.

We may want to add some explanatory text here with things to know about how admins, moderators, staff and trust levels work when setting up category security.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 12.25.28 PM

This will be great! When we have a new trust levels, documentation topic we can link to it from the interface for those seeking to learn more.

We used to do that, but removed it when we made some changes to the guide to try to make it easier and more helpful for first time site owners. There is a link to understanding trust levels, which I think is enough for now.

I still think that the best approach is to improve the interface, so that Admins do not shoot themselves in the foot or get overly confused. In most cases, people don’t need to make any changes at all to these _allowed_groups settings. We already prevent admins and moderators from being removed from settings where they always are allowed, and can now also prevent more than one trust level group from being added.

1 Like