Effectively using Discourse together with group chat

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Originally published at: Effectively using Discourse together with group chat

Most modern businesses and organisations today are using some kind of team chat application. The usual suspects are Slack, HipChat, Discord, Mattermost, Rocket Chat, Riot, and Gitter, to name a few. While chat is immediate and primarily synchronous, communication in Discourse is gradual and asynchronous. We’ve seen far too many community managers treat these two…

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

p.s. major kudos to @mcwumbly for his excellent writeup over at the Ember forum, which I completely neglected to give him due credit for upon publishing! :sweat:

His post was the foundation for the entire “Complementary Workflows” section and I even reused his apt take on “Don’t try to move the conversation over while it’s in flight” pretty much verbatim.

(Dave McClure) #3

Thanks for the additional kudos, @erlend_sh.

I really appreciate how you synthesized a number of discussions over the past couple years in this timely post.

This is an important topic for online communities today and I look forward to any further improvements and guidance you and the team can offer to people trying to find the best ways to use these different tools together.

(Dave) #4

Great point below by @mcwumbly on using Slack with Discourse. Both that and @erlend_sh blog post have been extremely useful for my communication strategy development.

if anything new came out of the Slack chat, summarize it in a follow-up post on the Discourse topic