Email, Cc, and removing people from Cc

Situation

1. A conversation starts via email with N participants, including one that is an incoming address for Discourse.
  2. As normal, a new topic is created with all the participants.
  3. At some point, a reply is made by email, dropping one original participant.

Questions

• Will the ‘dropped’ email participant be also dropped from the Discourse topic?
  • Will the ‘dropped’ email participant be notified of, or receive the response by Discourse?
  • How does the account type (staged or active) influence this behavior?

Thank you

I’m usually on the receiving end of emails that are sent to Discourse, not the sending end, so this is a good chance to confirm how things work.

When a user replies to a group PM, they aren’t replying directly to the users, they are replying to a reply key. For example, something like simon+0b436b95dc22685a28e15e5d34da413e@discoursemail.com. There is no option to remove users from the PM via email. If you want to remove a user, staged or not, from a group PM, you need to remove the user via the Discourse UI:

After having done that, if the removed user attempts to reply to the PM that’s in their inbox, they will receive a response similar to this:

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“simon+0b436b95dc22685a28e15e5d34da413e@discoursemail.com”] (titled Re: Testing creating a PM via email) didn’t work.

Reason:

Something has gone wrong. Perhaps this topic was closed or deleted while you were looking at it?

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

Note that the reply keys posted above are not the actual reply keys for my test site.

Only if they attempt to reply to the email after having been removed via the UI. In that case, they’ll get the email that I posted above.

One thing I’m not sure about is that when I removed a user from the PM and then tried to respond as that user to the PM, the email that was set was email_reject_invalid_post_specified. I can find that email’s content on my site’s Admin / Customize / Text section - it has the key system_messages.email_reject_invalid_post_specified.text_body_template - but I’m not finding that email in the Admin / Customize / Emails section of my site. I’d expect to be able to edit the email from that section. I’ll look into what’s going on with that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.