Email not sending out after installation. I need help please

I think I have just reached my highest level of frustration with configuring mailgun :frowning:. Please I need help.

This is my problem:

I installed discourse successfully after several failed attempt with configuring smtp credentials and the problem I seem to have is sending activation links to new registered users for activation of their account. I tested with my other gmail account and I did not get any email as regards link to activating my new account. I also tried inviting my friends as moderators but that too did not work!

I then checked my mailgun account to see my logs and I saw this:

I do not understand what that means.

My DNS are configured well

:

Images of my admin interface:

Did I do anything wrong?

Please I really need help. Thanks

Mailgun now requires a credit card number to deliver mail. If you give them a credit card number, it’ll work.

2 Likes

Ahh. a very helpful, very timely tip actually. Thanks! :rocket:

I don’t know what happened there for me but my mailgun account was indeed still sending out emails. I guess I am grandfathered in with an older account or something.

But without providing a credit card I didn’t have access to the mail log which is crucial for me.

What’s a bit weird about this arrangement is that it’s still free but if you send more thank 10k you start getting billed. So pretty important to also set up a custom message limit in your mailgun prefs.

2 Likes

I think the policy changed for new accounts in January.

3 Likes

Wow. So if I add my credit card, will I still be charged if I don’t send up to 10,000 a month?

Per Mailgun dashboard, “You won’t be charged until you surpass your free allocation”

2 Likes

Right. It’s always made sense to give them a credit card anyway, as they turn more stuff on if you do. IMHO, it’s sort of crazy that they every delivered mail for free without any proof of ability to pay. You can see their pricing page for more info.

Ok guys. I will go ahead and add my credit card.

1 Like

It’s working now :grinning:. But I have another issue now :expressionless: The link to activate the account does not go to the homepage of the forum. Instead it takes me to this link: http://email.rookiecave.com

Any thought on this? Thanks

What’s your DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME in your app.yml?

1 Like

My discourse hostname is www.rookiecave.com

Perhaps you changed it after you did the initial build? You probably need to

cd /var/discourse
./launcher rebuild app
1 Like

It’s working now. I realized the problem was from my mailgun domain settings. My tracking hostname was ‘email’, it was coming as a prefix to the domain name. All I had to do was turn it off.

Thanks

Now I need to install ssl certificate on my domain name using let’s encrypt. How do I go about that? Any guide?

The guide you’re looking for is here:

2 Likes

If you’re interested in using Discourse, you might take notice of its search function. search for “encrypt #howto” and you’d find it, as @awole20 did.

3 Likes

Ok I understand. I have just followed the guide and added this:

templates:

• “templates/web.template.yml”
  • “templates/web.ssl.template.yml”
  • “templates/web.letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml”

Please how do I rebuild the containers?

Which of the commands are valid for rebuilding?

1…/launcher rebuild
2. ./launcher rebuild start app
3. ./launcher rebuild app
4. ./launcher rebuild <app.yml>

Number 3 only.

./launcher {start | stop | bootstrap | destroy | rebuild} [container name]
2 Likes