Email notifications for chat should respect "private email" site setting

Hey everyone, as a new user I can’t create a topic in the support category, so I’m trying to just post this here for now.

For the chat plugin, is there any way to turn off email notifications site-wide, or to alter the template to not include the content?

In Settings > Email there’s a ‘private email’ option that limits what’s visible in emails. That is necessary for security purposes in our private community. We’ve started using the chat plugin, and we’re now seeing full content of chat messages showing up in inboxes which is an issue. I was hoping that ‘private email’ would cover the chat plugin as well but it appears that it does not. We need this same functionality for chat email notifications so any guidance on how we can implement that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

If it did cover chat, would that be your preferred approach to meet the need within your community? Or would you prefer emails from chat to be disabled entirely still?

Should “not” be “now” above?

1 Like

Yes, our preference would be for chat notifications to still go out but just be stripped of all content like the ‘private email’ feature does.

Yes, thanks for noticing that.

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

If there was at least an option to alter the contents of the email template that is sent when the user received new chat messages?

I can’t seem to find that email template in the admin settings…does it exist? Could someone point me to it?

If that’s not possible yet, I agree, it would be good if the “private email setting” would apply to chat notification emails as well…

Thank you!

3 Likes

I’m also still waiting on this. Our company has private discussions and every time I receive an email from our Discourse install with the contents of these discussions I cringe, hard.

4 Likes

Hey folks, quick update from the chat team — we understand this is important to you, and it makes sense that chat notification emails wouldn’t contain any content when the private email setting is enabled. We’ve added this to our roadmap and hope to begin working on it soon.

I’m afraid I can’t provide a timeline for you, since work hasn’t started yet and priorities can change, but I’ll keep you updated here on our progress!

6 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks for the update Lindsey! Just knowing it’s on the roadmap is very nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just pushed a change which should correctly handle this site setting in chat: FIX: correctly uses private_email site setting in chat (#24528) · discourse/discourse@57584c3 · GitHub

5 Likes

Thank you very much @joffreyjaffeux!

I’ll update our server this week and report back here :pray:

3 Likes

Hi @joffreyjaffeux,

thank you for the quick fix, the clear text chat messages are no longer sent in the email :pray:

However, the email for this chat summary doesn’t seem to respect the general email template. It differs from the email template that is e.g. sent when a new reply on a topic occurs.

Among others, it seems to lack the <head> and <body> tags entirely, and changes I make under Admin > Customize > Email Style don’t seem to affect this email at all?

Would appreciate some more help on this, thank you very much!

Hi, I don’t think that’s related to the OP problem. I didn’t change anything to templates while fixing this.

@lindsey maybe we should slot improvements to chat email templates

2 Likes