Email Notifications for likes

I know this was brought up before in this thread, and even though having the summary of likes on the digest is good, it doesn’t really do it for us.

Is there a way to get an email for the like notifications you get? Basically the email version of the Discourse notification you get. Most of our users don’t have Discourse open all the time.

Thank you.

1 Like

What would be the use-case here? Or a more direct question, what value is there in emails for like-notifications, other than increasing email costs? Like notifs are probably the most common notifications, even when bundled.

2 Likes

Mainly because our users are not on the platform always -we don’t use it as our main communication tool, but as a social tool, kinda. Our server is not that big, people probably are getting 2-3 likes per week.

We believe users getting notified via email that people reacted/engaged with their posts could motivate them to use the platform more.

4 Likes

I don’t thnk this is a great idea if we’re taking SMTP costs into consideration. It’s not free, so sending a notification/email to every user every time isn’t really a good idea, and it’ll exhaust SMTP limits pretty quickly and is not scalable for medium communities + large ones.

2 Likes

That is definitely fair. And I agree it would be PITA to have in a bigger community where you get 10-15 likes a day.

Maybe as an option to have if your community is below a specific number or something? Or maybe it can be done if you’re hosting it yourself. Honestly, I don’t really know how it would work, I’m just the guy who got this request from my team :grinning:

Thank you.

2 Likes

I think it could be scalable. What if like notification emails are also bundled?

1 Like