Users not getting notification for every Like on replies

Is there a setting involved here to make sure users get notifications for every single like? Or is this a bug?

(Sam Saffron) #2

It would get mighty loud to get a notification for every like, especially when you post something popular and get 20 likes.

We always notify on first like though. You also get a notification when you get a huge number of likes via a badge.

Our forum is still pretty slow, and the likes are a primary source of engagement.

Is it possible to monkeypatch our way around this, until it becomes an issue?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Simplest thing to do that would not require much changes would be to add a badges for 2-3-4 likes for the time being cause it would require no special monkey patches.

Its very simple to add you can use the existing “Nice Post” and “Nice Topic” badges as a pattern.

@sam thanks again. I implemented this feature and it does bridge the gap a bit, but it’s missing the best part about the notification which is seeing who likes your post right within the notification dropdown.

I think it would be great to have an option to get every like. On our old forum, our users never complained about getting notifications for every like - they say this is a huge incentive for them to get back on a site.

We’ve had more complaints from our users on this. As stated before, email notifications for likes are a major driver of traffic back to our site which is still small. Our engagement has dropped (# of posts, visits) since we made the switch from our Ruby on Rails forum, and we think this is the major reason why. I’d love to confirm now that we have a 1 month baseline.

(Note: I’m a bit puzzled by why this isn’t in the control of admins. If our forum takes off and have the problem of too much engagement, it’d be a nice problem to have. We’re paying for added email notifications, so why not let the admins decide if it’s worth it?)

(Sam Saffron) #7

This is now complete per:

You can be notified always, first time only or first time and daily.

I agree that our default was a bit too quiet.

Feel free to turn up the :sound: