Email woes, AOL strikes again

AOL has come up with another odd email behavior that is causing problems for my users.

Most of the time, a post or response via email comes from AOL comes from XXX@aol.com. But I have seen occasions when it comes from XXX@aim.com. Of course these are rejected as non-matching email addresses.

The users, as far as I know, don’t have the ability to access email sent to XXX@aim.com, so there’s no easy way to set that up as a secondary email address by having them confirm that email address.

Is there a easy way to force a secondary email address into a user record without the user having to confirm the email address?

If I had a dollar for every strange email issue from AOL, I could have a nice steak dinner at least once a month.

1 Like

Is AIM different thing than aim.com? Because I reckoned AIM is dead and burried.

Most emails from this user use @aol.com but one has @aim.com.

The only other significant differences I see are that the aol.com one has this header:
X-Mailer: iPhone Mail (20A362)

while the aim.com one has:
X-Mailer: WebService/1.1.21896 aolappiosmobile

This user is not very computer savvy, if he’s doing something to generate the aim.com domain I doubt he knows what it is.

I just don’t see any easy way to force an email address with aim.com into his profile.

Another common problem is posts via email that reject with this explanation:
Email::Receiver::ReplyUserNotMatchingError

It appears that the email matches the primary email for this user in his user profile, so it’s not clear to me why the reply via email was rejected.

This only happens a small percentage of the time, most of the time the replies from my users go through without any problems. Not sure what trips the reject.